Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building THIS Weekend!
mrmiji
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 22:50 - Edited by: mrmiji

Well, it's not a cabin. I've had a setback financially. Still, it's a build.

I'm building a permanent deer blind for my 80 acre ranch. The attached photo shows the location on an elevated ridge. It'll face NE between two feeders. The best part about the location is the ridge drops to the NE and everything east of the NS line goes into shadow at least 30 minutes earlier than flat land. Deer move earlier providing an extended prime shooting time.

It'll be small but elegant. I'll put it on concrete blocks. It'll be 4 X 6 feet with a 2 X 2 entrance deck (!) to wipe your feet on. It'll have a steel door with a dead bolt/knob and a 3 x 4 single hung window. I haven't decided the height but it'll have a shed roof with corrugated galvanized steel and Hardieboard siding. We don't build things that won't last.

Photos to follow.
crop.jpg
crop.jpg

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 23:04

NICE!

mrmiji
# Posted: 8 Sep 2012 20:21 - Edited by: mrmiji

Floor and 2 of 4 walls together. the floor is a little noisy but will get insulated and a bottom to core it along with a rubber mat one would otherwise use in a horse stall for a flooring before it sees the office chair. Should be OK but I do regret somewhat going light. Joists are 1' apart and maybe it'll get quieter after a little use because it isn't flexing in a detectable fashion. Tomorrow, I'll run out to the ranch and recover the small trailer I'll complete the final assembly and transport it in. Then I'll finish the final walls and roof. Photos then. I'll still need to Hardieboard it and install the door and window but I'm happy with what I've accomplished today. I went with 1/4" siding and if I went beyond 100 psi on the nailgun it wanted to shoot the round head through the plywood entirely. In this case, I don't mind so much as it'll do the job I need but that nail gun is awesome. We shot nails in scrap would for fun at first.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 8 Sep 2012 21:23

I love building stands. Like building tree forts again.

Owen
a tall one
a tall one

mrmiji
# Posted: 9 Sep 2012 00:26

Oh, my!. I have to tell you, I have over 4000+ hours of flying in military aircraft but I couldn't climb that ladder. The new blind will however be located on an elevated position so I won't be afraid but I will be shooting downward.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 9 Sep 2012 09:39

I've shot a lot of deer from that tree. I love those big lone pines. I have many stands around my land. One is all enclosed and insulated. I think it's too claustrophobic.

Owen
My insulated stand
My insulated stand

mrmiji
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 22:08 - Edited by: mrmiji

It's going together on the trailer. I have the roof out of the photo and need to build the other two ends for the door and the window. After I get it to the ranch, it'll get tar papered and skinned with galvanized corrugated steel.

It'll get the usual carpet and Mr. Heater, some foam sheet insulation and rest on concrete blocks.
halfcompleted_shed.j.jpg
halfcompleted_shed.j.jpg

mrmiji
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 21:33

I'm running a little short on luck today.

For months we've gone without measurable rain in NW OK and I choose to build the week it rains 1" with more to come. Though I was able to get the window and door walls along with the roof under cover, the parts in the photo are in the rain. I checked 'em tonight and there's some swelling/bowing of the wall panels but it's all still together.

If it dries enough for the 55 mile trip, I have three people going out with me to install the thing.

Also, Lowe's didn't have an outswing door in stock so I took the 32" inswing without thinking about clearance on the shed roof. There were some anxious moments at that realization until I knew I was good to go.

mrmiji
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 13:28 - Edited by: mrmiji

The parts on the trailer don't seem to be damaged.

The photo shows the door and its wall leaning against the patio wall and the window and its wall resting on the roof on the ground.

And, yes, I don't know anything about framing.
IMG2012091400061.j.jpg
IMG2012091400061.j.jpg

mrmiji
# Posted: 15 Sep 2012 20:01 - Edited by: mrmiji

I have to paint the door but it's otherwise complete.
IMG2012091500068.j.jpg
IMG2012091500068.j.jpg
IMG2012091500069.j.jpg
IMG2012091500069.j.jpg

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 13:05

nice blind~~~~and nice camo

PA_Bound
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 15:34

Now that's not a very kind thing to say, Anonymous. And you know what, after 40 years of hunting I don't think camo really matters for most blinds. The secret is getting wildlife used to it being there, whatever it looks like, and keeping activity to a minimum around the blind so the wildlife doesn't keep getting flushed away from it.

My hunting cabin is on the side of a hill, that slopes off about 4' front to back. It's not camoflaged at all, but that fact it looks like a cabin doesn't keep deer from from using it as cover. In fact, for the last several years, we have seen and have pictures of deer laying under the cabin. And not just every now and then, we had one small herd that returned almost every night during the winter months. We're even pretty certain two fawns were actually born under the cabin. Wildlife will adapt to almost everything, as long as they are allowed to.

mrmiji
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 16:06 - Edited by: mrmiji

PA_Bound,

Your experiences match mine. My other blind seats two easily and has a similar steel siding. Deer leave regular prints right up against it and I wonder if they're rubbing on it.

I had to control the urge to build something bigger but if I did I'd be inclined to camp out of it and that would certainly increase my scent "foot print".

I have a trail into it that doesn't cross deer trails and I'm generally not exposed to my area of fire until just before entering the blind. Note that I have the window quite low and I'll put a pull down blind over the top window during mid day. I have a modified office chair we'll use in it. Camo? I'm going to cover the interior walls with tar paper. If you're sitting low in the blind and not illuminated with reflected light, it's unlikely you'll be detected. Camo sure sells though. Personally, I think the only creature being fooled by it is the purchaser.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 20:54

I have to say, a new stand might be the problem , not the camo. Good luck though, all you need is one.
On that insulated stand of mine it's wraped in a camo tarp. I'm not so much trying to fool the deer as just darkening it into the trees. I have a flat roof covered with rubber roofing. Snow load is not a problem, It's under the third floor.

Owen
grandaughter
grandaughter

mrmiji
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 21:31 - Edited by: mrmiji

I'm in Oklahoma; the deer aren't that smart. The deer have a month to look at it and consider the threat. I had a fabric "outhouse" on the same spot and two deer made very bad decisions while it was occupied.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.