Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Trees as posts
Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 21:40

i am thinking about dropping some pine trees on my property. I would use those trees as posts for an outdoor area on my property. Anyone tried this before.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 07:27

In anything but totally dry soil, there is only a couple types of trees here in MN that will not rot in four years. Cedar or tamarack.

Owen

TomChum
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 12:11 - Edited by: TomChum

You don't say where you are. Here in the NW, using "Pine" as in Ponderosa pine is absolutely not recommended for outdoor use on the wet side of the state. And Pine will only last a few years on the dry side. If just a few years is OK, keep them in the dry and not touching dirt. Other pines can last a LOT longer than Ponderosa, so check what kind of Pine and if other people are using it outdoors for building in your area.

As Owen said, Tamarack and Cedar are very good. Doug Fir and Hemlock are good too, keep them in the dry and not touching dirt and they last even longer.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 14:33

no matter what softwood you use i reccomend removing the bark, even on cedar, the bark is the trees skin and on a live tree holds moisture in, on a dead tree its the same and creates a harborage for insects and fungi, peel off the bark and it will extend the usable life of the posts (around here cedar lasts 5-10 years longer if peeled)

I used elm as poles for constructing a temporary barn, they lasted a year so far

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.