Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Good Projects for Learning Basic Woodworking Skills Needed for Building a Cabin
zrhudgins
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 21:39

Hi everyone, my name is Zach and this is my first post on Small-Cabin. I have been browsing the forums for around a year now and have dreams of building an off-grid cabin but do not have much experience working with tools or wood. I hope to build my cabin according to Lamar Alexander's Simple Solar Homesteading eBook. Any suggestions here on small projects to prepare me for a small 14x14 cabin? I hope to hear from you soon and I really enjoy looking at everyone's projects on here! Thanks, Zach

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 22:04

Zach, there is a couple of brothers who have compiled a book on building a home. They point out, its not hard, its just a series of a bunch of simple steps. Anyway, they have a video on youtube. Videos are 8 minutes long. Its broken down into 3 sections. First, there is 7 videos on floors and stairs (starting from a foundation) and I will put up the link for the first one. After its done, just go to the right, you will see "floors and stairs, part 2 and so on till all 7 are done.

Watch these guys work. 2 brothers who work together like one person. The other knows exactly what to do at each phase without even saying a word. All the tips and tricks. Finding centerline for ridge, (they build rafters, not pre built engineered trusses) and so on. This video will have you glued to the computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=dqM7ekLfSmA

After you are done with that section,. then thee is wall framing. Again, these guys are fast, heck of a good nailers too. I think its 7 videos in framing section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSRbWbSsA5I&feature=relmfu

Then the final and my favorite, roof system. They have hip roofs, valleys. Cool tools to speed up production. I think the roof is 6 sections. Each video is right around 8 minutes long, so you may get to bed kinda late, be warned. Hard to stop watching these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIq-asaOEk&feature=relmfu

PA_Bound
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 22:13 - Edited by: PA_Bound

Zach... glad to have you here. As others will tell you, there are many skills that go into building a cabin- including flooring, framing, roofing, insulating, electrical, plumbing and undoutedly more. One thing that I did to prepare was volunteer with a local group similar to Habitat for Humanity. Instead of building from the ground up however, we do repair projects for needy people- some being rather extensive and complex. My building skills were limited (every skill level is appreciated however), but I got to work beside (and learn from) some really talented professional trades people. It was a win-win, as I learned a lot and got to help others in the process. I even made personal friendships that have helped me out with challenges in my on-going building process. I would suggest you look into what similare groups exist in your area.

rockymtngal
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 22:43

We used Lamar's ebook- and we both had zero experience building anything. I used his plans in combination with YouTube videos, questioning my materials provider, the local Building Official and various internet searches - including this site.

We are about 80% complete and it has been a wonderful learning experience.

I love the 14x14 size- but the 12/12 pitch roof was daunting to work on. He also uses standard lengths and sizes of lumber - so that makes it a little easier.

Good luck to you-and have fun!

zrhudgins
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 23:21

Toyota-Those videos are great! I've watched the first one and will keep those bookmarked for the future. Kind of reminds me of a more thorough This Old House Thanks for the reply!

PA_Bound-That is a good idea..I'm actually surprised I haven't thought about that before. Will see if there is a Habitat group in my area.

Rockymtngal-That is very reassuring to hear that you are having such luck with Lamar's plans! What is the hardest and easiest part of the process that you have experienced so far? I've been researching a lot of different cabin designs since I discovered Lamar last summer (2011) but I just love his simple 14x14 design. I just finished school and have moved back home to the country and I'm very lucky to have free land where I am welcome to build. Needless to say, I'm super excited to start but want to make sure I don't rush into it without the necessary skills

rockymtngal
# Posted: 18 Sep 2012 09:47

The hardest part was by far the roof - it's really steep! Then we made some modifications; like only doing a half loft, metal roofing, cement booard siding and window/ door placement. That's where we had to do additional research because they weren't in his plans.

The easy part was that it's square and pretty straight forward. It helps to have the right tools.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Sep 2012 14:40

I might add, make it perfectly plumb level and square. If something is off, stop, fix it before moving forward. The problem compounds itself the further you go. It slows you way down too.

bobbotron
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 10:34

Start by building something smaller, like a shed or outhouse. Same ideas as building a cabin, but every step is quicker, cheaper and lighter.

TomChum
# Posted: 27 Sep 2012 16:24

Maybe make some chairs? Adirondacks are made fro flat patterns. There are lots of plans, easy to find on the web.

I used a chair from a dept store as a pattern, diassembled it, traced the parts and made 4 more chairs out of Cedar.
Dept store chair
Dept store chair
assembly
assembly
4 new chairs
4 new chairs
Two on the porch
Two on the porch

Rossman
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:28

@toyota_mdt_tech: Those videos are great. Those two guys are clearly experts!

Anyone have any idea how to get the complete video? The videos on youtube are kind of chopped up...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.