Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Looking to buy an unfinished log package
jono
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 19:35

Hi Everybody, I'm looking to buy a 500 to 700 square foot log cabin package and finish it off myself. I live just outside of Halifax (Canada), do you have any suggestions on what type of wood would be most suitable?

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 20:21

White cedar

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Sep 2012 22:25

sweet gum log houses are hard to beat.

jono
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 00:09

haha
I've been looking at this handcrafted package in Douglas Fir, what do you guys think?

URL

TomChum
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 01:59

Quoting: jono
what do you guys think?

Machined logs look like a stack of telephone poles. Not my style.

fpw
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 14:27

Doug Fir is ok. There are many log builders with different approaches. I, too (like TomChum) prefer hand peeled and hand scribed.

You can find quite a bit of info on log building at the following url:

http://www.logassociation.org/

There also plenty of builder listings.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 15:11 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Hand peeled with a "skip peel", ie leaving bits of the bark behind looks the best IMHO. The milled logs are really "large dowel pin" homes" I still like them, just the least desireable IMHO.

I think Spruce or Douglas Fir would be some of the best choices. Winter harvest it best time to have no sap leakage.

Another great site is:
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/

jono
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 18:18

the one that i posted is hand peeled handcrafted with full scribe scandinavian saddle notching. i'm getting better pics send from the builder. thanks for the tip about the winter harvest logs!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 25 Sep 2012 23:46

How about this? Hand scribed in white cedar.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.