Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Advice Needed
sureimsure
# Posted: 6 Oct 2009 23:15 - Edited by: sureimsure

I hope people here will take this seriously.
I pretty much have no idea what i'm doing. This is my first attempt at figuring out this goal that i decided on yesterday.
I am a 22 year old female. I am a college student with little money to spare.
I need a place to call home for the next 3 years and i'm tired of room mates, dorming situations and the like. I love the outdoors. I feel like i'm wasting my life because i'm not building anything and am unable to travel or really get out there "in it".. anyway...
I am asking anyone who has previous experience with building cabins, would it be possible for me to build one myself, ( i have no prior knowledge) for under $4, 000? I have land to put it on, friends that are electricians, and a step dad that is willing to throw in a hand if i let him.
i realize for that kind of money the cabin would end up being very small. and thats ok. i'm not concerned about the size of the thing, am not worried about luxury. . i want something of good quality, something durable simple and practical. i would need running water and electricity.
I just want to know if this is plausible, in your opinion or if i am being carried away with a foolish dream?? ..
anyones input on any one issue in this post would be really appreciated... thanks...

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 7 Oct 2009 11:15 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Fist, I'd say moving into a small cabin is a lifestyle change - give it a thorough thought for a while. Don't underestimate the effort.
I also assume you figured out transportation.

Then, check with your local municipal laws on cabin size restrictions and decide if you go with or without a building permit route.

Given the fact that you have no construction experience, you will need help. If you cat get someone to build (friends, relatives, etc.) I think you should be OK with your $4K budget; however if hiring someone it would be one of your major costs and will likely put you over your budget. Get quotes to get an idea.

Is there a well, municipal hookup or some other source of water? If not, getting well drilled / running water would not be cheap - I don't know costs for drilling wells in you area, but usually just that along can cost big.

Is there an electricity hookup? Having a small off-grid electrical power setup is OK for occasional/moderate use, but for year around full time living you need either a hookup or a decent power setup that can cost big as well.

Which part of the country? I.e. do you have cold winters that will require cabin insulation?

Finally, as with other things in life, plan for some cost overruns.

In summary, only if you can avoid paying for cabin construction and have an existing water and electricity hookup on the property - you should be OK with your budget.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion - hope it helps.

Good luck, sureimsure.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 8 Oct 2009 10:20

Building is not rocket science...but it does take some skill and attention to detail. Being a remodel carpentry for the the better part of the last decade, I have seen many projects that were "owner built" and some were pretty scary if not outright dangerous. Prior to you project, you might want to pick up a decent book on construction and building techniques, there are a number of good one out there. Illustrated ones are much better ...most beginners need to see diagrams of how things go together.

Electric and Plumbing are likely to be be your biggest challenges ...as cabinbuilder said. Permitting... if applicable.....and ties to these could easily break your budget. ( tieing in to a septic system is pretty involed) I built a simple storage shed a few years back for about $1200 (no windows and a site built door) and used it as a baseline for estimating our larger cabin's budget...materials to date for our 200 sq foot are about $3500...but does not yet include, siding, wall insulation or any interior finishes...Yes you can build something for $4000 but it will be smaller than 200 feet....

One option might be to find a used camper...and add a small PV system...check about zoning for that too.

A friend of mine found a pretty decent used camper for a couple grand on craigslist...
shed
shed
cabin start
cabin start

lawnjocky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 21:38

I lived in all kinds of things going to college. I even lived for three years on a 22 foot sailboat. I have lived on many other boats since including a hippie houseboat built on a life boat that I purchased at a lien sale for $100.00.

You should be able to build a simple structure for your budget but you will have to rough it.

At one point I didn't have access to showers so I got a canvas tote bag and put all my shower stuff in it. I would go to the gym before school and shower. It worked but it was one more thing to do.

For a toilet there are several porta potties on the market, check West Marine. They only hold a few gallons and need to be dumped into a regular toilet for disposal.

Cooking is easy if you have power. If not it isn't a big deal to use propane. Cabelas has good prices on 1,2 and 3 burner stoves.

I have used coolers for years on end. After a while you learn to buy food that keep without a fridge and buy fresh stuff often.

Lighting can be done with dual fuel Coleman lanterns and a head light for reading in bed.

A cheap wood stove from Harbor Freight works well if they have a store near you. Shipping is too expensive if not. I have seen many wood burners on Craigs List. For a small cabin even a wall tent stove would work.

A simple gravity system works for water.

If you are resourceful and adventurous it will work for you. I have known people who have even lived extended periods in teepees.

Decades later I look back on those years of living in all sorts of situations with great fondness. There was a real sense of community among the other people living that way.

Good luck.

Jocko

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.