Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Designing water system
jrbarnard
# Posted: 28 Sep 2012 12:57 - Edited by: jrbarnard

Good morning guys and gals.

Ok.. I am picking up my 2550 gallon water collection tank this weekend. I am amking an order from Lowes and trying to figure what all I need.

I am NOT going to use this for drinking water. This is just for a shower and toilet and 2 small sinks.

I am curious, do I need a pressure tank? If so, what size? This is for a hunting cabin and most folks will answer the call of nature outside.. heh.. and showers will not be used a whole lot since we go up there on weekends, but...I want to make it last and "just in case" so...

Pressure tank?

how many gallons, 20?

Do I need a fancy filter setup? I don't know what to get.. heh

I have a pump, just a "plug is into the wall 1/2 hp motor, not sure if it has a built in pressure switch.

I guess that is all there.

TY!

Russ

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Sep 2012 14:24

If the tank will be sitting on the ground all you may need is a simple RV pump, Shurflo or ZFlotec. They are usually 12 VDC, but some can be purchased in 24 VDC and even 110-120 VAC. They do not need a pressure tank. They operate by building pressure in the system and then shutting off. When a valve/tap is opened water flows and the pump starts and runs as long as it is needed. Then it turns off and waits.

Hard to say what your pump is without knowing the make/model number.

An RV type type usually has a filter that keeps out coarse sediment. You can build a sand filter to filter out most of the debris. Bacteria, etc require something more... UV light, chemical purification, reverse osmosis, etc. If you don't breath in the hot water in the shower that should be safe.

Just
# Posted: 28 Sep 2012 20:37

we have a 12 volt shurflo works well . that and a garden hose with a shutoff nosel is all you need to get started [about 100 $ ] . do you need to protect the system from frost.

Anonymous
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 17:37

I had a 1 HP shallow well pump and pressure tank from Harbor Freight. About $100. It worked great. I used it for shower sink and toilet and an outside hose bib....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.