Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What kind of foundation on sand?
dawidio
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 00:53 - Edited by: dawidio

I'm REALLY new to all this so please forgive my ignorance with terms used for building. I recently bought 20 acres of land just East of El Paso and want to build a tiny cabin out there to star gaze and so forth. I don't need plumbing or electricity for now. I have tons of camping stuff and don't mind going au naturale. However, through all of the research I've done, I haven't been really able to pinpoint exactly what kind of foundation or posts (see?) I'm supposed to use. It's very sandy, frost isn't necessarily an issue, and the water table would be way deeper than I could ever imagine trying to dig. I am thinking of building using wood pallets and was also thinking of digging down about 4 feet and putting railroad ties on top of gravel and then pouring concrete around them. That way, I could have a stable post(s) on which to start building my cabin. I kind of wanted to build it off the sand a bit (steering away from concrete slab) because there are tons of creepy crawlies and rattle snakes that might want to try and nestle in while I'm not there. Any suggestions and advice would help a lot. Even if it's just "you're crazy don't do it". Thanks a ton!
My jeep on the land
My jeep on the land

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:40

In sandy soil here in NM buildings are usually built using a poured concrete perimeter foundation. Twelve inches wide works for most small structures. Then build a crawl space or pour a slab. Ot do a monolith where the perimeter and slab are poured as one piece. There is no need to go 4 feet down. In my part of NM we go 18 inches because winter can be cold. In southern NM and parts of TX 12 inches deep is all that is needed. The concrete footing spreads the weight out. For larger buildings in sand an engineer should be able to advise. Some building departments will be able to advise on what works best as they know local conditions.

bobbotron
# Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:59

Can't really say one way or the other, but I bet the building department will have good suggestions. How big of a place are you thinking?

Looks absolutely lovely, looks like a great place to sit back and watch the stars!

dawidio
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 22:36

Thanks you guys! Glad to know I don't have to go too far down. I had a feeling like that might be the case, but's its good to hear from others. Bobbotron, I'm not thinking that big. I was actually looking at something at maybe around 3-400 square feet. A tiny little place to cuddle up at night. I was thinking that maybe I would spend most of my money and labor on a huge deck. My desire is to hang hammocks up and maybe create a little pergola for shade. I know that I have almost no building experience and have been looking for months on the internet for inspiration, but most of the places I've seen were done by obvious professionals with virtually no spending limit. Do you guys know any other websites with some down home examples, too?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 07:35

I love sand for building on skids. The buildings go nowhere, but our sand in MN stays put. Does yours? Wind can move it, so maybe you should build up a foot or so.

Owen

bobbotron
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:00

I was going to suggest skids as well, or concrete pads.

KISS (keep it small, simple!)

Sounds great, I love the idea of a small cabin with a big deck. Keeps you outdoors, enjoying it.

dawidio
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 23:04

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely do some research on skids for the land. I can't wait to get this started. As far as the sand shifting, I'm not sure, we have some pretty nice dust storms in spring every year, but nothing sustained or all year long. I think it'll be pretty nice...

dawidio
# Posted: 6 Oct 2012 23:41

MntDon, that is a great site and very inspirational! You certainly seem to have the vision and the know-how. I'm hoping will and determination will get my little cabin up and running.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.