Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulating plumbing just beneath the ground
Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 09:11

I was curious if you could wrap pvc cylinder type foam padding that has the split down it, and you just pop it over the pipe.

If the pipe is underground.

The reason is, my current inlet pipe comes from the well starting below the frost line, but comes up under the cabin at an angle and has a few feet where it is above the frost line. Would putting foam padding on this help ?

Heres a few shots, its hard to tell depth but you can see how it angles into the under side of the cabin.

inlet 1

inlet 2

GomerPile
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 09:46

Wrap it sure. Then put a strip of 2 inch rigid foam board over it. Make the rigid wide as possible....2 ft max. Cover with dirt.

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 11:12

So like this ? what about water accumulation in the air space

example

Anonymous
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 11:42

No air gap.

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 12:23 - Edited by: TomChum

You are in a gray area, and the effect you get is different when water is moving, or not moving. I don't think you can solve both of them at the same time. The transition area between the frost line and the outside temp is a bugger.

Wrapping the pipe:
The "cold" (or loss of heat) comes from above. Wrapping the pipe retains the ground heat that the water has (from your well). Wrapping the pipe helps if the water is moving (for example you leave a faucet dripping).

Not wrapping the pipe:
If the water is stopped for long periods, then you want to employ ground heat to warm the water. In that case you want foam insulation ABOVE to "raise the frost line". In that case, you would NOT insulate the pipe because insulation would reduce the ground heat getting to the pipe. And as above mentioned, "no air gap". Air gap could let the heat from below, that you need to retain to heat the pipe, escape.

I understand your dilemma, I'm trying to work thru the same problem. Except I can leave my water running (unless the outlet freezes shut). I think the options you have, are: Raise the frost line - or - keep the water running, or both.

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 16:03 - Edited by: Rifraf

Frost line here is only about 18 inches , perhaps I can just make a mound right there in that region.

I can leave the water on, small steady drip or so. We are here full time.

Rifraf
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 22:44

I also have a well house that is insulated and will have a heat lamp inside on a thermostat plug, all my lines under the cabin have heat tape, and insulation on them. The only weak point is the area from just outside the cabin to the well house, a stretch of about 6 feet

Just
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 23:05

Just put a heet tape on ,that line, also.it should run from inside the cabin to below the frost line. I ran mine inside a 4 in non perf. big O
so I could get at it for repair.fill the big O with a foot of gravil below the frost line so it will drain any ground water away. WE have a 40 in. frost line never froze yet ..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Oct 2012 23:22

I was going to suggest heat tape. Lay it on the pipe, wrap it with foam wrap to hold it in. I assume you have electricity at your cabin? Have it on if the temp drops too low.

rayyy
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 08:51

I had the same delemma at my old house.I put a piece of that 4 inch perferated plastic pipe around the exposed to frost,section,making sure the pipe cavity went well below the frost line.The tempiture of the ground would keep the upper part from reaching freezing.Pluss it ran right into the heated side of the house.

Rifraf
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:26

Well according to the manufacturer you cannot and must not run this heat tape in contact with the ground or underground.. Im guessing because the conditions can erode the wire insulators, soil/rock movement can pinch it ect.. in any case I abode by this and did not run underground, hence my new questions.

Not sure if all heat tape has this limitation.. Mine is the type that you do not coil around, but rather lay on one side of the pipe and tape,zip tie in place, then wrap the pipe again with insulation then plastic wrap.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.