Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Help
Drifter55
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 18:40

Hi all,
Just joined the forum a little while ago. So much great information here. Thanks to everyone!!

My story:
I bought 10 acres the northern Berkshires in western Massachusetts about a year ago. There is a shed there, 16' X 24'. I brought a trailer up and cut some trees down to get a better view. No electricity, no water,....off grid living. My partner and I love it!! Our goal now is to convert the shed into a cabin with an enclosed porch facing the mountains. We'll still be off the grid with no water, not a problem. We'll do the rainwater thing, and there's a brook at the end of the property. Lots of work to do. Fortunately, I've got 4 years to get this done. That's when I retire. Then we want to spend most of the year up there and winters in our Boston area home.

My question:
As you can see from the pictures, the shed is built on 6"X6"X8' PT. Those are sitting on 8"X4" blocks. All of this is resting on the ground. I want to raise this whole thing up 18" off the ground, put joists in, then a floor. What is best way to raise this,what size blocks would be the best to set this on, and how far apart sould the blocks be? BTW, this is a strictly DIY project. Thanks in advance for any advice. I appreciate it.
inside construction of shed
inside construction of shed
inside shed
inside shed
shed at end of driveway
shed at end of driveway
shed
shed

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 20:20

Looks like a fantastic place....I have know idea how to do what you are asking...someone on here will have a plan for you though!!

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 21 Oct 2012 22:58

This is a pretty simple patience game...jack,jack,jack..slowly. Remember, a fair chunk of weight, no height. Can never have enough contact points. Can't come up with the right terms right now but we ran three sets of 2X12's(X2) X16 and then the floor. I probably have 24 points, either 6X6 or 4X4, mind you we are 2 storeys on one half.
All on 2X2 patio pads and then deck blocks- we sit on bedrock
Oh...go little bit higher, it makes sliding underneath easier! And you will want to get under, trust me!

TomChum
# Posted: 22 Oct 2012 00:24 - Edited by: TomChum

Wow nice place!

I'd want to know how thick that rock is, an what's underneath too. It's sitting on 6X6x8' but you are planning to change this distributed load to more localized spots, which may settle unevenly. With 16x24, and 8 foot timbers, a foundation block every 4 feet sounds good.

Here's an idea to get it off the ground. Screw 2X8s to the wall studs, at about a foot above ground, with 4 or 5 screws per every stud. You will need an electric screwdriver (or kit) and a few hundred 3-inch screws. Then just go around and around each room with a pair of hi-lift jacks and jack just enough to get a 1X4 under, lifting the shed up level but 3/4" at a time. Maybe you will need thinner blocks too, like OSB (7/16") it depends how heavy the building is.

You will need a bunch of 1X4 blocks, but not ALL 1X4s, as it gets higher you will be changing out a pairs of 1x4s for 2x4s and on to 4x4s and cinderblocks. You will want to maintain an orderly combination of blocks so you KNOW you are going up level. You might set the 2X8s onto the studs initially at perfect level, then you can easily check level as you go up.

I bought a Hi-Lift jack locally for $55 at a farm supply store, maybe 5 years ago. If you order it online watch the shipping because they are heavy and 4 feet long, and I suspect you will need a pair of them. Another good reason to buy it at a store is maybe you can get someone to show you how it works. It's a simple and clever device. Once the 6x6 gets high enough there are more options for lifting.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.