Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Space Saving Stairs
MJW
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 13:39

For those of you (like me) that have been looking for solutions that will give you a good looking, usable set of stairs that aren't downright scary, check this out.

http://www.stairplan.com/spacesaver.htm

Montanan
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 16:12

This is my favorite design from them. I'm considering it for an attic room we might do at our home.
attic_stairs_idea.jp.jpg
attic_stairs_idea.jp.jpg

MJW
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 16:48

Quoting: Montanan
This is my favorite design from them.

Ours, too! We are going to do something very close to this when we build our place.

Just
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 21:48

Put this set in a 8 x 13
10 in rise x 10 in run 20 in tread
10 in rise x 10 in run 20 in tread

redlandfd
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 13:30

Hey Just, I like your stair design, do you have any more pics of it? Is it in a 4x4 space?

Just
# Posted: 11 Nov 2013 14:00

I believe they are 20 in wide with a 10 in. rise and a 7 in. tread .There is only a 7 ft. ceiling in the cabins main floor. I will look for more pic's but i'm not sure ,I no longer own the cabin, sold it in 05.

cbright
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 10:27

In the process of building a set right now... here is where I am. Just need to assemble them now.

11 stairs, plus the platform. 64 degrees. Rise is about 7 1/4" per step. 27" wide total, 24" treads. Made from 2"x12" lumber.

Should be very easy to walk up/down.
Side shot
Side shot
Treads
Treads

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 10:51

I first saw this design at The George Mason Plantation in the DC area. I think the tour guide said Thomas Jefferson designed the step configuration used here. I may be wrong but it sticks in my brain for some reason.

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 12:45

Does anybody have any suggestions for floor layout for a 16x16 with an 8'x16' loft (towards the back of the cabin). I have the building closed in and the loft built but I didn't put much thought into loft access. I was thinking a folding ladder of sorts but stairs would be nice for small kids.

I would be curious to see what other folks are doing. I have a 12-12 pitch roof in the loft area so I cant really go right up the side wall. The one posted by Just might work but I will have to look at it closer once the river freezes up and I can get back out there.

cbright
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 14:15

Hey SubArcticGuy, look at my floor layout in this thread;

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_3652_0.html

Mine is only 16x13, so you could so something similar, but even better (no need for the landing area). My loft is 15.2'x7.5' (actual floor area)

Here is the floor plan for reference, but there are more details in the thread.
From above
From above
Inside view
Inside view

cbright
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 14:19

Ahh... never mind, that might not work for you if you oriented your roof 90 degrees to the way I did. I put a lot of thought into how I built my loft (which is opposite of what I normally see) for just this reason and because of my views/water access.

Just
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 14:45

Quoting: SubArcticGuy
8'x16' loft (towards the back

sooooo is it a shed roof with 12ft. of head room on the back wall or a peak roof with 8 ft. head room in the center of the cabin ??? or do you have a pic ??

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 15:28

It is a peak roof with about 6.5' of head room (once it is all closed in). It occurred to me today that if I had put the loft on one side of the cabin instead of at the back then it would work better for stairs. Too late now....I will try and post some pictures later tonight.

Just
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 18:57

soooooooooo if you put the steps in in the living area you will find they get used for seating as much as climbing .you also may want to consider the railing a bit more than I did as you might want a little more privacy for changing in the loft . The most important thing is you have made the loft with enough head room to stand and change.
Perhaps some storage under the steps.
steps
steps

rockies
# Posted: 12 Nov 2013 19:09 - Edited by: rockies

A lot of building codes mandate a maximum rise of 7 7/8" for a staircase tread. One way to get around that would be to try an "offset" staircase design, where the treads only run halfway across the width (which, now that I look at it, is exactly what is shown in the first picture lol) Still, I've already typed this, so.....
http://www.stairplan.com/spacesaver.htm
Offset stairs
Offset stairs

razmichael
# Posted: 13 Nov 2013 07:07

We have been really happy with our alternating tread ladder into our loft. Less by design and more by luck it fitted nicely between the two large deck sliding doors and runs into a cutout in the main loft (the loft extends from over the deck into the cabin by 2').
I love cbright's design and workmanship (posted above) but for those less skilled you can make alternating tread ladders using 3 stringers as described here: Fine Homebuilding. below is the plan I used (naturally only suited for my rise/run needs) and a photo. Amazingly easy to use - my 10 and 8 year old boys have no problems coming down face forward. I've mentioned before however that you must not stop to talk to someone as the instinct is to put your other foot down on the same step level - not there!
IMG_2417_P.JPG
IMG_2417_P.JPG
VisioLadder7.85.jpg
VisioLadder7.85.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.