Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Rubber chimney boot for steep roof?
bobbotron
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 09:20

So I have a (Selkirk) Sentinel Rubber Boot kit (URBFK2) for my chimney. I was reading the instructions today, it says the maximum roof pitch is 10/12, my place is has a 12/12 roof! Do you guys know if these boots can be adapted for steeper roofs? It doesn't appear that selkirk sells a rubber boot for steeper roofs..

Or do I shoot my chimney outta the roof at an angle to make the boot happy? ;)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 10:36

You should be able to get a boot for a steeper pitch. Many of those boot based are flexible to shape to a metal roof, but if you angle them more than designed, it wont fit right around the chimney. I kmow they make them for your pitch.

TomChum
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 12:09

Hey, chimney at an angle, with a tin hat is classical "old cabin" style. I like that!

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 13:29

we have 13/12 and ordered one to fit

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 31 Oct 2012 13:44

oops forgot the picture
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

bobbotron
# Posted: 1 Nov 2012 13:05

The fireplace store I've been dealing with suggested using one of the metal flashing kits for shingles, and caulking the crap out of it.

We have an extra piece of roofing metal, so this actually seems like it might be a good idea, as I could lap the roof metal over the flashing, and seal up the bottom and sides with backer foam for a good mechanical overlap... Hrm!

RickAK
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 16:06

I bought a Selkirk system and intalled last weekend. I bought the metal flashing for a 12/12 roof and the rubber boot. The boot would not work based on the length of the opening that had to be cut in order to give proper clearance. Had to go with the metal flashing which was pretty easy to install.

bobbotron
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 22:12

Cool RickAK. What did you do about the fact the metal flashing wouldn't sit flat against the metal ridges?

Montanan
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:30

The rubber boot wouldn't fit on our 12/12 roof either. We used the metal flashing and slipped it under the roof metal so the ridges aren't a problem. We siliconed all around and then used a piece of roof metal scrap at the bottom to cover an unsightly cut and to divert any water. (See photo.) We've never had any problems. For what it's worth, I have seen flashing that is made with ridges in it, so slip right over your roof metal. You'd still have to silicone the heck out of it, though.
cabin_102511_exter.jpg
cabin_102511_exter.jpg

Montanan
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:31

P.S. Sorry that I don't have a close-up...this is the best I have.

groingo
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:32

I got a fexible boot (made in Germany for European roofs) made so you can run the chimney through the peak rather than off center, consists of a high temp bladder (575 degree rated), hold down ring and sealant all for $65.00, going on second season no problems.

RickAK
# Posted: 5 Nov 2012 11:55

Bobbotron, the flashing is thin and bendable and I used lots of silicone.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.