Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Thoughts On Preserving This Older Cabin
Hoosierboy
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 09:14 - Edited by: Hoosierboy

A recent trip to Illinois, saw a friend who's grandfather built this cabin in the woods of western Illinois.

I have studied cabin construction for years, and he wanted me to look at it. He is looking for some ideas on proper preservation, so this will be around for years to come.

Details, and my recommendations

New tin roof added recently, as older original roof was leaking. He did however neglect to add new roof sheeting which needs to be done.

Logs appear to bee all hardwoods cut down in the area. The logs were notched with a chain saw, and never debarked. You can see wood borers are attacking it. This cabin needs to be debarked, and logs treated.

The chinking was done with what appears to be brick mortar, and many areas are opening up. There were no nails or anything put in place to help hold the chinking. This chinking needs to be removed in conjunction with log debarking. A product like Perma Chink should be used to re chink after log cleaning.

The cabin rests on a poured concrete foundation, so future preservation was thought of. However on close inspection there is an area on the back side that needs cleaned out. This area has had years of buildup covering the foundation. This in combination with rain runoff has caused some sill log rot. After clean out, this rotted wood needs cleaned out and treated. An epoxy should be utilized

There are numerous small holes in and around the gable areas. At a minimum these areas need to have screen material installed. This will help keep out squirrels and other vermin.

null

Your own thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

trollbridge
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 12:43

I have no advice, but am glad to see that it will be restored...what a gem!

Best of luck!

GomerPile
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 13:40 - Edited by: GomerPile

I did a log cabin restoration and there's a lot to learn and its a time consuming process. I'll give you a couple places to start (you seem to be on the right track BTW).

The Good:
+ Large overhangs on the sides protect the logs from rain.
+ Can't tell for sure, but that looks like hardwood...very nice!
+ Log ends are checked but look pretty good

The Bad:
+ Cracked chinking can trap water that can accelerate rot formation
+ Poor overhang on the front means those logs are getting wet
+ Lots of checks in the log ends....thats where moisture gets drawn into the log
+ Bark...bugs live under it.

Suggested Action Plan
1) Evaluate problem areas. Look for bug holes, rotted areas, etc. Use an ice pick and probe around looking for soft spots. Especially poke into those upward facing checks that collect water. Pay special attention to the sill logs!

2) Create a list of things that need fixing and prioritize the repairs. For example, You will want to evict bugs first since its easy and they can cause a lot of damage quickly.

3) Decide how much restoration you want. Personally, I would corn cob blast that thing, debark it, strip off all the chinking, etc etc. You might want to keep it more original looking.

4) Decide which chemical company you want to use (Sacho, Permachink, etc). I like Permachink products.

Other random thoughts

+ That chinking needs 100% replacement, cement sucks....go modern.

+ Plan on using some kind of Borate preservative like Shell Guard (my fav).

+ Think about extending the front (and back?) overhangs to better protect the logs.

+ Even if you find bad rot don't get too worked up....anything can be repaired and its not that hard if you're handy.

+ Look at Osbourne brushes and the variable speed Makita sander for cleaning up the logs. I used a palm sander on mine and wished I used the Osbourne.

+ Permachinks log end seal is great stuff!

If you have specific questions I might be able to answer them.

bobbotron
# Posted: 2 Nov 2012 15:41

As a quick reply to the last comment, I recently tried a sanding disc attachment for my angle grinder. While not for fine work, holy smokes is it a powerful way to achieve abrasion! (Similar results with a wire brush attachment.) Just a thought for the OP, if he finds himself with a heavy sanding job. (Just test it out on some scrap wood first!!)

Hoosierboy
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:41

Thanks for all the additional information

I forwarding it all to my friend

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 3 Nov 2012 16:34

I would get it off the ground. Cabins that don't have air circulation underneath suffer from mold and mildew.

Malamute
# Posted: 4 Nov 2012 13:11

The notches really need to be chinked/sealed. They were notched on the tops as well as the underside if each joint, and will catch water and rot. They may already have started to rot. Normally the notches are only on the underside of the joint and water runs off. It looks like the just copied toy Lincoln Logs for their joints.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.