Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Making a pine slab countertop.. how to season wood?
bobbotron
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 14:32

Hi all,

I'm looking to turn the following log into a counter top. While I was hewing it, I noticed that there were a few bugs in it (see the 2nd photo for one of the bug holes.) The log has been fallen in the woods for about a year, suspended off the ground by 6" (more?) It seems to have some blue staining around the outer rings too. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to treat it, and if it's worth saving.

I'm planning on planing it to 2" to 3" thick, washing it with TSP/bleach and then coating it in a thick coat of either clear epoxy or polyurethane, to seal in any spores and make it a bit more of a resistant surface.

bobbotron
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 14:38

I should mention, I've read borax based fungicides would be good for treating against boring insects. Here in Canada, I haven't been able to find a source of borax, otherwise I would have already done this!

I had a tiny amount of zinc naphthenate left, which I poured down the existing bug holes the other day when I was up there. (Probably not very effective.)

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 19:22

The blue stain is from pine bark beetles. They carry a fungus that then causes the blue stain. It does not harm the wood strength. It only occurs in the water carrying portion of the tree / log; sapwood.

As for getting some borate in Canada try contacting the folks at this link... it's canadian and contact info at the bottom of the page

neb
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 21:15

What kind of wood is that?

bobbotron
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 21:54

Neb, it's pine, not sure what variety.

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 22:07 - Edited by: TomChum

Dont worry about the stains or the holes, it will look better with flaws. Some folks call it "character". Rot is the only flaw that would concern me anyway.

Blue stain pine is somewhat of a delicacy.
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/BlueStained_Pine_Pros_and_Cons.html

bobbotron
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 22:20

Hey Don, thanks for that. Funny, I had been to that site but didn't notice they were in my neck of the woods, cheers!

bobbotron
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 09:54

Hey TomChum. Funny, I'd read that woodweb article before!

As far as I can tell, there's no rot in the log, it's really quite solid, it is putting up quite a fight against my milling efforts. :P

TheWildMan
# Posted: 17 Nov 2012 09:53

try the local supermarket for borax, 20 mule team borax can be found in the laundry soap area

the stain is caused by fungi, if the holes are beetles and not ants you should leave them visible. plane down the log and further stain it to protect it. the stain colour and holes will add to the rustic feel.

you may not know it but there is a market for unusual wood, things like that often sell high in niche markets. like cabinets made from stained maple wood riddled with tap holes, conventionally its worthless but in home decore its worth a fortune to select buyers

bobbotron
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 09:08

I picked up some of that 20 mule team borax yesterday, hope to go at it this weekend, milling the log down some and then washing it with the borax.

I found one beetle in the log while hewing it with an axe. Killed the bugger with the back of the axe, haven't seen any more since.

bobbotron
# Posted: 22 Nov 2012 11:06

Quoting: MtnDon
As for getting some borate in Canada try contacting the folks at this link... it's canadian and contact info at the bottom of the page

So those folks just got back to me. They were kind and did some digging for me. Apparently brush on borate preservative isn't available for regular schmucks like me here in Canada.

A chemistry nerd friend of mine figured out how to make Timbor from the 20 mule team borax but I think I'm going to pass on that for now.

bobbotron
# Posted: 21 Dec 2012 11:57

An update, I found out I can order Sansin BORACOL through a local shop here in Ottawa. A happy ending to this tale, ordered and purchased, I have 4L of this stuff now, wowza!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.