Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Underground gas pipe?
Borrego
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 18:30

Hey guys and gals - I'm going to be running about 150' of gas line from my soon to be delivered propane tank to the cabin. I had always assumed I'd just use wrapped galvanized, but once I'd done the layout, it'll be tough to dig in a straight line due to rocks. I've looked up other types like the flexible stuff, but thought I'd ask the experts on here. I've heard copper (I'd use rolls) can be used with propane but the cost? Hmmm. Whatcha think, gang?
Thanks in advance!

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 18:56

Ouch! What a distance!

I'm not an expert but there are a cpuple of things I know. One, is that copper is allowed in some places / states and not others. Usually that is because copper can be easily corroded by the wrong make up of the soil. Two, that is a very long run and will cause large drops in the volume of gas that can be delevered. I'd ask the propane tank vendor about both the type of pipe material and the size.

Here is a chart on size and distance though

There are two regulators, high and low pressure. I'm thinking, guessing that maybe the long run can be done with high pressure as that should deliver more/better. Then drop to low pressure at the house. Not sure on that;;; ask the tank vendor.

neb
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 19:06

As for the pipe there is a new pipe or line that is used these days. I can't tell you any more then that but a guy was telling me that one day. MtnDon has it right you may want to talk to a pro on this,

Borrego
# Posted: 20 Nov 2012 19:07

Thanks, Don - Copper is ok in California for propane. I was thinking I'd run the copper in a sleeve of some sort, although this is just dry, sandy soil with rocks. Kinda figure after thinking about this that I'll have to use copper, too many cuts and threads needed for iron even if the digging wasn't an issue. And the flex stuff requires a specialty license, my general's won't work out here....Thanks for thought on the sizing, I hadn't even gotten to that yet. Calling supplier right now!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.