Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Tongue and groove tool(s)
Borrego
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 21:33

I need to cut a T&G in the ends of some boards that are already t&g'ed on their long sides - to use for flooring, the price is right! so what is the easiest way? I have a router or two, but no table... I have table saws? I found this and could buy a router table if necessary, but could use advise on that too. Thanks, guys...
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2134

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 21:37

Those work, but a matched set of the two is much handier to use than the one pictured.

Borrego
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 21:55

Huh? Help me out here, Don - i need pictures.... And do they require a table?

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 22:55 - Edited by: MtnDon

Yes. Need a table is needed.

A bit set like these., rather than a set of parts that need to be disassembled and reassembled for the tongue or the groove.

I made my own table. I made a face plate from a piece of fibreglass printed circuit board to hang the router from the underside of the table. and used parts from an old table saw to have an adjustable fence. The table is basically a box with a top, bottom and two closed and two open sides. Grooved to fit a mitre gauge and the table saw front and rear fence guides bolted in place.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 12:47

Why do you want to t&g the ends of the boards?

bobbotron
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 13:37

Router tables are pretty easy to make. I think this one cost me $20 or $30, and a few hours to build.

As for tongue and grooving... it'll be a lot of time at the machine!

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 20:56

Quoting: TheCabinCalls
Why do you want to t&g the ends of the boards?

Well, so they'll have someplace to lock into at the ends and not just along the sides. All of the flooring I've laid has t&G all around, so I figure its a good thing... I could shiplap it as well, I guess...

Quoting: bobbotron
As for tongue and grooving... it'll be a lot of time at the machine!

Oh, I know! But it's just the ends which are 5 1/2". Which by the way, it's gonna be tough to keep a 12 ft long board on end and true to the fence isn't it?
Quoting: MtnDon
I made my own table. I made a face plate from a piece of fibreglass printed circuit board to hang the router from the underside of the table. and used parts from an old table saw to have an adjustable fence. The table is basically a box with a top, bottom and two closed and two open sides. Grooved to fit a mitre gauge and the table saw front and rear fence guides bolted in place.

As always, thanks, Don!

adakseabee
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 21:12

If you have a plate jointer, also called a biscuit jointer, you could use that to make slots in the ends of each piece of flooring into which you would insert an appropriately sized plate/biscuit. It would be a heck of a lot simpler than using router bits to tongue and groove opposite ends of each board or cutting each end for lap joints using a dado blade on your table saw.

Martian
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 21:22 - Edited by: Martian

Quoting: Borrego
Oh, I know! But it's just the ends which are 5 1/2". Which by the way, it's gonna be tough to keep a 12 ft long board on end and true to the fence isn't it?

Your going to use a hand-held router for this job. To keep from rounding the corners, you'll need extensions on each side. Make yourself a jig that slips over the end of the boards. I would suggest two 1X2's with a tongue in one side of one and a groove in the side of the other. Fit them against the sides of a piece of flooring then bridge them top and bottom. They need to be able to slide. Offset the bridging so you can clamp the jig into position flush with the end of the flooring; use a quick release clamp. Run the router across the end.

That's how I do the ends on cutoffs, but the bisquit cutter would be quicker.

Tom

Borrego
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 21:29

Quoting: adakseabee
If you have a plate jointer, also called a biscuit jointer, you could use that to make slots in the ends of each piece of flooring into which you would insert an appropriately sized plate/biscuit. It would be a heck of a lot simpler than using router bits to tongue and groove opposite ends of each board or cutting each end for lap joints using a dado blade on your table saw.

Now we're getting creative! I knew the guys on this forum would come through

Quoting: Martian
That's how I do the ends on cutoffs, but the bisquit cutter would be quicker.

I agree, Tom, but thanks for the other idea, too.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.