Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / On Wheels Question
hitanktank
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:32

So there are lots of tiny houses on wheels. I'm renting land from a guy. Hypothetically lets say my tiny house/cabin is 16x10 and on wheels. Anyone know how that affects the whole codes/laws/ whatever u wanna call it?

If property owner gives me permission to put it/park it on his land i cant see how anyone can complain. Its not a permanent structure.

But what do I know

hitanktank
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:35

oh understand this property is in the middle of nowhere and there is one house within 3 miles. So its not urban or anything, its wayyyyy offf grid

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:42

You need to search out the rules that may apply; can't say at what level as I don't know where you are. The county may be the place to begin. It doesn't matter that the land owner gives you permission to park and live in a tiny house on wheels, or an RV or a tent, if there is a rule against that sort of use. The only way to be sure is to research it.

Governing bodies can have strange, weird, onerous rules on the books. I'm not defending them, just pointing out that virtually anything is possible.

hitanktank
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 22:52

Im in Saskatchewan
the land is in the RM of Wreford (RM 280)
Im just snooping their rules online right now

hitanktank
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 23:00

If anyone smarter than me (which covers everyone on here) wants to interpret this for me feel free

Subject to section 3.2, the approval of Council is hereby given to the following
developments, and no application for permission or issuing of a permit is required:

a) all farm buildings and a single farm dwelling
b) the planting, management, and harvesting of field crops and gardens
c) the management of pastures which are not part of Intensive Livestock Operations (ILO)
d) an accessory building to a residence not containing any habitable rooms and smaller in
area than the principle residence
e) a fence less than 2 m in height
f) repairs and maintenance of an existing building
g) an accessory building less than 10 m2 in area
h) the installation, repair, and maintenance of a public utility.
3.2 All developments pursuant to section 3.1 shall be subject to the following:
a) every development shall have physical and legal access to a public highway (municipal
road) that is developed to a standard that, in the opinion of Council, is suitable for the
proposed development
b) no building shall be constructed closer than 45 m to the centerline of a provincial
highway, grid road, main farm access road, or road allowance
c) no building may be located in any area of a lot closer than 6 m to a road allowance
d) no fence that obstructs view may be located in the areas described in clauses b) or c)
e) no building shall be located closer than 3 m to any other property line
f) where a person wishes to develop any structure that does not meet the requirements of this
section, an application to council is required.

neb
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 23:14

Man there is a lot there to digest. Not sure if I"m smart enough to help you. Some of it is pretty clear but other parts seem in deep.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 23:17

Quoting: hitanktank
f) where a person wishes to develop any structure that does not meet the requirements of this section, an application to council is required.

... may be the "gotcha".

You probably need to ask the actual question.

Many times there will be no problems unless...
1. someone complains. they don't need a good reason to complain but once anyone does the government has to respond.
2. there's a grumpy know it all and doesn't like anything unusual official that happens to see or hear of the house/trailer.

The transportable unit may not be the issue. The issue could be the oocupancy. Lots of could be's....

d) an accessory building to a residence not containing any habitable rooms and smaller in
area than the principle residence

sounds like there are allowable structures but there has to be a legal permanent residence first. The habitable rooms is a gotcha that means to be habitable requires a permit process.

Just my jaded opinion after dealing with various levels of government

hitanktank
# Posted: 27 Nov 2012 23:24 - Edited by: hitanktank

Im getting deep into it (its gotta be 20 pages) and the main issues are a permanent foundation, water supply and sewage/waste water.

Im looking at hauling in water and then grey water recycle and or disposal. In the end after reading all of this, it really seems to come down to whether the powers that be want to give you the permit to build or not, depending on how they feel that day.

Oh brother, government

this is the whole thing if anyone ever is bored enough to read it

http://www.municipal.gov.sk.ca/Community-Planning/Interim-Development-Control-BylawRM

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 10:53

If its classifed ass a trailer (legally, not your description) then its a non issue. Look into "Park Models"

http://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/?gclid=CI-e5P6B8rMCFSPhQgodxiAAzQ

They usually say OK as long as they dont exceed 500 sq feet. But these are a bit heavier to tow. Usually need a manf home hauler. They do make smaller sportsmans cabin size too.

They are exempt from permits here and taxes. But it can very in your area. They are treated like a RV, but act more like a small manufactured home.

TomChum
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:08 - Edited by: TomChum

Don't admit that you have read the rules, they will expect that you understood them the same way they do. Don't ask questions - they have YEARS of experience, know all the angles, and already KNOW how you are going to try to skirt the rules. Be careful with fire, don't bother people, don't pollute, don't make a mess. Read the rules, find several lines of where you will comply, and go on about your life.

Place your little house out of view of any neighbor or passerby. Gate your road.

If any contact with the neighbors, get along with them. They might think that with a simple phonecall there will be one less hunter in "their woods" to compete with. Or they might be scared, a lot of rural people live around bears and cougars but are way more afraid of outsiders. The only way to get around this is "time". Be there, for a few years and be an asset, then you will be OK.

Neighbors in my area are distrustful of renters living in trailers. Not because that's bad, but whenever there is trouble in the valley, it seems to come from the houses with people living in trailers outside. One problem per year gets the valley "all a-titter" for years. There are lots of low-income folks in the valley but the ones with several travel trailers kinda make it harder for the good people. People don't really get together much, they're busy in their own world, rely on their ignorance to guide them, and phonecalls to guide their neighbors. This is how it's done in our civilized western world.

hitanktank
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 13:17

so I went to the actual development office for the area. The lady and i talked about the "legal and proper" way to this (on wheels or solid foundation, both ways). She was really cool so I just ask her "What would happen if I just built it without going through all these hoops". She says "No one will care. No one drives around and enforces these rules, and even if they did they would have to spend money on injunctions and court orders etc. Just dont bother anyone, dont make it unsightly, dont take up a lot of space and keep it off the grid." She was awesome, and really, she makes sense.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 14:40

See, always best to ask the question(s) in the first place, then you get to know the reality. Thanks for telling us about the experience.

razmichael
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 16:35

Hi hitanktank,

Did you also ask what the regulations involved? Always a risk staying under the radar as people and enforcement can change. I was worried when I started to look into building (NE Quebec). Only to find that I could do exactly what I wanted to do. My cabin is a seasonal dwelling so I can use an outhouse and grey water pit. I needed to build 50 feet from the water and that was about it. Building permit was $50. Bunch of permits for dock, outhouse etc added up to another $75 or so. In my case it made sense to get the permits and follow the rules as the rules make general sense. Don't know what I would have done if the circumstances had been different.

hottroddca
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 14:03

I'm also in Saskatchewan and have an acreage in the bush. I live 500 km away. When I purchased the property it was covered with bush, no road in. I cleared a trail in and put down gravel. Had power trenched in and moved an RV onto the property. My intentions are to build a cabin. In the second season while working on the property drainage the RM contacted me in regards to no RV,s. My road in is gated off the grid and you can't see my RV through the bush from anywhere. When you move into an area the locals don't know you and they don't like you! I didn't know the regs and if I did I would have never started. It would have been impossible to do the work without having an RV to stay in. The RM does allow you to use an RV once construction is under way but building a road in, running power and setting up drainage isn't considered construction. From my experience I would find out the bylaws and stick to them because when someone complains because your new to the area the government has to enforce the bylaws.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 6 Apr 2015 22:30 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Its not a permanent structure.

But what do I know

I see you are in Canada, so this may not apply it may??
This is tax exempt and not considered permanent (no permit required)
Brinnon_winter.jpg
Brinnon_winter.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.