Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Installing 2x6 t&g Whats the best way?
SonnyB
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 08:30

Need some advice on what you think is the best way to install 2x6 t&g in my loft. It will not have a sub floor just the 2x8 floor joist of the loft.

I have seen people face nail it, I have seen people face screw it, and I have seen people pre-drill the tongue and screw that to the joist, and have seen people just use a nail gun and shoot it through the tongue also but seen it blow out the side of the joist sometimes too?

So give me your advice on what way is best and why!

Thanks!!

GomerPile
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 09:09 - Edited by: GomerPile

Depends on what "look" you want. If you want rustic looking pine floor then you can face nail it with rustic nails like these: http://www.historicfloorco.com/products_nails.html.

If you don't want to see fasteners then drive a finish nail at a 45 degree angle thru the tongue into each joist. You might apply a bit of wood glue (or liquid nails) to the joist to help hold it down and prevent squeaks (watch for ooze if its exposed).

You can use SS trim screws which have a very small head for face screwing like these: http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/decking_screws_trimscrew.

Theres only a best way if you can determine what "look" you want.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 09:25

We did the same. It is exposed under as the ceiling and the floor above. We put a glue like product down to prevent squeeking and used a nail gun to the tongue. Went up in a day with 2 people -30'x18'.
Boards delivered
Boards delivered
loft before
loft before
loft after
loft after
after
after

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 09:35 - Edited by: TheCabinCalls

Here is a look from below. We were cafeful not to drop the glue or let it squeeze out.
32070_2_o.jpg
32070_2_o.jpg

odrg
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:49

adhesive caulk on the rafters and nail it anyway you prefer - they are all good.

SonnyB
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 08:51

Thanks for all the hellp guys! I wil glue and nail them down.

Just
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 09:30

glue and old- fashon square headed nails [face nailed] gave a nice effect at our place

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.