Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Building with Rock
travcojim
# Posted: 5 Nov 2009 19:53

I am looking at low cost ways to build, aren't we all... I have a lot of both river rock and rock that is the size used in old rock walls, I have been playing around with the thought of building with rock the way some of the old CCC guys built a lot of the cabins in state parks back in the 30's. At least here in Arkansas a good number of them were done this way and are still standing and looking great to this day. Has anyone ever looked into this type of building? Finding info on the web isn't as easy as it sounds on this.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 11 Jan 2010 19:47

travcojim-

I have used rock for a hearth and my floor. I'm in the planning stage for a wine cellar which will be completely out of stone. I do a significant amount of stone work in my business and would love to build a stone building one of these days. The general rule regarding stone/rock work is that for many people it is too cost prohibitive. If you have the stone available and you have the labor to put forth into the project you are an exception to the rule. We charge in the neighborhood of $65 per square foot face materials and labor.

I can turn you on to some really good old books on building with stone. Let me know and I'll get the info for you. (I can't recall titles and authors off the top of my head). So, if you have the materials and labor all you will really invest in is motar.

You can also build a wooded or masonry block structure and face it with stone. Think about your over-all game plan, sketch out a design and then build a model before moving forward. A little up front planning can save you ton's of time, effort and dollars down the road. good luck!

travcojim
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 16:07

Thanks for the reply, I have the stone and time is no problem since I won't be in a rush to finish, I have a house I am living in and this is being built on my property, so its gathering the stone and mortar and the labor. No worries about permits also, I am too far off in the sticks to worry about that part of it. The building laws are pretty soft as of now.

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 16 Jan 2010 23:41

Post some pics as you start stacking up the stones, I'd love to see how things come out!

fthurber
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 22:08

Quoting: travcojim
Thanks for the reply, I have the stone and time is no problem since I won't be in a rush to finish, I have a house I am living in and this is being built on my property, so its gathering the stone and mortar and the labor. No worries about permits also, I am too far off in the sticks to worry about that part of it. The building laws are pretty soft as of now.

Yes post some pix. I have plenty of stone also and time.

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 22 Nov 2010 22:52

I think stone is a great look, just for inspiration this structure I designed has a typical 2x4 stud wall interior with osb sheathing and vapor barrier, the stone is wrapped around the wall although its not being supported by the interior wall except with brick clips. You could do the same with all masonry if you desired

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Nov 2010 10:03

Here is a few websites for stone:

http://www.eldoradostone.com
http://www.mutualmaterials.com/

Anonymous
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 12:27

travcojim,

I am planning to do a very similar concept as you. I have some land in the woods with a creek running through it. The creek bed has plenty of river rock and I would like to utilize local material as much as possible. After all, this will be a cabin in the woods and would like it to have the least enviro-impact as possible.

My concern is with the structural integrity of the building. Would it be necessary to embed some I-beams in the walls or maybe #9 or 10 rebar stick vertically out of the footer?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.