Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin stain
mt mike
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 13:29

I need help on refinishing my cabin. I do not know what finish was used originally but it has a shine to it like it may be a varnish and is peeling in the weathered sections.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mt mike
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 13:32

By the way this is exterior pine log siding and has the natural yellow appearance that I would like to stay with

adakseabee
# Posted: 2 Dec 2012 16:08

Sure looks like a varnish/polyurethane finish to me. If you plan to apply varnish or polyurethane to your siding, use spar varnish or spar polyurethane after thoroughly sanding the surface to ensure a good adhesion of the new finish. The spar/marine varnishes contain a UV inhibitor that help to protect the finish from the sun's UV radiation. It is not necessary to completely remove the old finish, but failing to completely remove the old finish and the gray weathered areas may result in a splotchy appearance in the new finish. The project will require a lot of elbow grease to sand down to "new" wood and will need to be periodically renewed as long as you want to keep that natural yellow appearance.

MtnDon
# Posted: 3 Dec 2012 21:32

Those images make an excellent case for why I personally do like a clear "natural" finish on exterior wood. I've seen too many examples where the maintenance has been insufficient with results as you have shown.

It is a tough place to be. If you coat over it as is, even with removing the loose flaky finish the grey will still be grey. So that will show through the new finish. Removing all the finish and getting down to new looking wood is a horrendous amount of work, IMO. It makes me want to find a color of paint I like. But that's me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.