Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation advice
conquistador
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 08:59

My wife and I are in the planning phases of a 24x16 cabin with loft. I'm considering how to do the piers that we are planning on. I have seen a couple ways to do it, one is to essentially to build the foundation like a deck, with the piers even with the edge of the floor framing. The other method is to cantilever the floor offsetting the piers a foot inside of the framed floor. Hope this is making sense.

My question is, with a loft, which is best? I like the idea of cantilvering the floor because it seems like it would be easier to square the floor as I build. I know how to measure diagonals to square and all that good stuff, but know I'll probably get off somewhere so a little play room would be nice.

BUT I know building the piers to the edge, directly under the side walls would be stronger. So, what recommendations do you guys have?

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:14

A cantilever no greater than the depth of the floor joists is almost as strong as if the piers were right under the walls.

conquistador
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 10:55

Good deal. I am looking at 2x8 or 2x10 floor joists with a cantilever of around 6" to give a little wiggle room so do you think I would be good?

2x8 or 2x10? I am leaning toward the 10', what do you think?

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:48

Quoting: conquistador
2x8 or 2x10? I am leaning toward the 10', what do you think?

2x10 for floor joists and you don't need any center supports; grade #2 of the commonly used species, 16" OC

conquistador
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:50

Great!! Less digging!! Thanks.

I'll post some pics once I get going. I am getting the dirt work completed and will start the process shortly after.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll have questions soon!!

razmichael
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 13:46

May or may not be of help but here is a jpeg of the design I used for my 16x16 (with 8 ft loft extension over deck) - basically a 16x24 from a foundation perspective. Couple of things to note - I used a poured footing all around with concrete piers as shown. Obviously more work and cost but it does tie in the piers together. Also, I was using a structural ridge beam so I needed to have 3 good paths down to the foundation along the center line, hence the extra rim/joists on both ends. Other ways to do this but this was just the easiest. With just two people building the cabin I often went for ease over cost. I put a 2 piece beam down the center - not to reduce the span (as MtnDon stated, the 2x10s are fine for the 16' span, but to make it easy to layout 4x8 PT across the beams and under the joists so I could insulate and close in the joists. It likely does reduce any bounce a bit but this was secondary.
Visio3Foundation.jp.jpg
Visio3Foundation.jp.jpg

conquistador
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 13:56

That is a ton of help.

I like the idea of using 8 foot lumber with a center support because this will be a one or two man job. Easier is definitely better as I get older.

I really appreciate the help for sure! Now my wife and I have something to talk about tonight!

razmichael
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 13:59

Sorry to say but, although it may not be clear in the diagram (much clearer in the original Visio file) these are 16' pieces. Harder to lift but less connections or failure points!

conquistador
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 14:25

Well Darn...guess I'll skip a week of workouts to haul those suckers around.

Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.