Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / attaching corner post to foundation
wilsonpikit
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 16:14

How do you attach 2x4 (or 2x6) corner posts to a foundation. I understand how each section of wall should be built first before attaching it to the floor perimeter but how do you anchor down the actual corners into the floor? Seems like there are already a lot of nails (or screws) in that bottom corner area already...Please help!

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 16:50 - Edited by: MtnDon

The corner 2x4 or 2x6 are a part of the wall sections.

The wall coming in from the left has the sandwich of 2x's as a part of it... the bottom plate goes right into the corner. The wall from the right butts up against the other to form the corner.

It's all nailed to the floor, actually through the sub floor and into the floor and rim joists. The 2x in the corner nailed (not screwed unless you use genuine structural screws, not the typical deck/exterior type of screw) to each other to tie the corner together. Overlapping double top plates tie corner as well.

wilsonpikit
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 17:45

Yikes MtnDon, OK - I think I understand what you're saying and how this would 'lock up' the vertical sections of the corner walls but what I'm trying to ask is don't the actual bottom corner(s) need to be anchored to each corner of the foundation?
I think what most pro's do is simply nail the bottom plates in - between the studs as close to corners as possible - to secure / anchor the walls to the foundation as you seem to suggest. BUT, I was thinking to use a 1" steel threaded rod buried into the foundation corners with about 6" extending out the top. This would enter a threaded heavy-duty sleeve attached into each corner post to really secure it. Overkill...?

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 18:10 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: wilsonpikit
don't the actual bottom corner(s) need to be anchored to each corner of the foundation?

No, anchor the wall pates and the corners come along for the ride as a rule.

Code = Sole plate to joist or blocking, face nail; 16d (31/2″ × 0.135″), 16″ o.c.

That's the minimum; those who worry use two nails 3 to 4 inches apart.

Not sure what your foundation is or how the floor joists are connected, that could influence the method that is best used.

MtnDon
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 18:12

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/irc/2012/icod_irc_2012_6_sec002.htm

Scroll down to complete structural member nailing schedule

wilsonpikit
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 12:46

Hey everybody, thanks for your informative suggestions BUT at the risk of garnering the wrath of Khan - I still don't get it...I've included some pics to help the pro's who visit these pages to better understand what I'm describing. While looking at the pics I think I've figured it out. The runners that are attached to the concrete piers will actually be 'recessed' in from the perimeter edges by about 10-12 inches - this eliminating all of the nailing going on around each bottom corner. Example, look at the actual picture of a poured foundation. I thought each corner was built-up directly on top of each corner (why I think so much nailing would be too much for such a small area ) BUT - when I look at the diagram of the shed framing you can see that where the runners are placed - there's plenty of room for toe nailing any corner posts to be attached to a sill plate corner...Hope this makes my question(s) easier to understand.
Thank You
WilsonPikit

wilsonpikit
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 12:53

At the risk of garnering the wrath of Khan I still don't clearly understand. BUT, while trying to find images of what I was trying to describe, I think I found the answer. One solution is to recess the runners in say 10" from each edge along the perimeter - eliminating the excess nailing going on around each corner (when attaching the runner to the sill plate corners>corner beams/corner posts).
Thanks again.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 13:06 - Edited by: MtnDon

The pictures would help (I hope) as I don't follow what you perceive as a problem

Are the "runners" you mentioned beams? Laminated nailed together pairs or triples of 2x to make a beam?

wilsonpikit
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 14:36

I've got two of the images compressed - hope it works.
cabin foundation
cabin foundation

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 15:15 - Edited by: MtnDon

In the image that appears to be done in sketchup or a similar program the posts appear to be 4x4 or something square. 6x6? If that is what you are doing, I'm sorry but your OP mentioned 2x4 (or 2x6) corner posts and I never imagined what has now been illustrated. The 2x had me thinking conventional stick framing.

So, if I now understand this correctly, you want to build a post & beam type of structure on top of that framed floor shown in the left side photo. A different kettle of fish from what I imagined.

If that is the case it would have been easier to have run the posts from the top of the concrete pier all the way up to the beams that support the roof framing. Then the floor framing would have been attached to the posts. In that case the posts should be 6x6 or larger. So now I understand the dilemma. ....have to think on it, but a Simpson post base or beam to post connector might be the thing.

The sketchup image raises another question. The roof illustration seems to indicate you are using a structural roof ridge beam with support columns at each end and one in the middle. How have you arrived at the correct sizing for the beam that those posts rest on? The way it's drawn one half the roof load is being transferred to those. (I ask because I have no idea of your skills level or if this is from an engineered purchased plan.)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.