Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Stove questions
Paul
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 10:20

I found a small wood stove for cheap. I cant find anything about it online. It is just too old for anything like that. Its a fairly common design, I believe its known as a laundry stove. It seems to be missing a bottom section. I think its supposed to sit higher up off the ground maybe with some small decorative feet or something. What would you suggest I use instead? Also it seems to have a 8" exhaust pipe fitting. Does that seems too large, could it be down graded to 6 or 4? Its missing the flue piece as well(if it ever had one) do I need one of those? In such a small place(8x12) should I add a small fresh air inlet near the stove?Do you suggest side or vertical shaft for the exhaust? Lastly, do you put an ash pant in the bottom or just use a little shovel when it gets full? If so what material do you make an ash pant out of? You all seem to know your stuff about stove so I thought I'd try you first. thanks
front view
front view
6" pipe i used just to try it out
6" pipe i used just to try it out
next to 16in boot for scale
next to 16in boot for scale
side view scale
side view scale

Dillio187
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 10:28

it seems pretty small to need an 8" stack (just my opinion). I would definitely build some sort of table or legs for it to sit on, I'm sure one could weld something up pretty cheaply.

Chimneys draft the best with the least amount of turns and obstructions, so I would recommend straight up and out if at all possible.

Anonymous
# Posted: 12 Dec 2012 21:37

plus one on making some legs -- cool stove -- Certainly not air tight so it will like to be fed --

bamarebl
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 01:08

Looks like an old coal-burning stove. The reason for it not having a very long firebox. It wasn't made to take 14 to 18 inch sticks of wood. It was made to take 4 to 8 inch chunks of coal.

rayyy
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 07:53

Gosch,I had one just like that many years ago.Yes,it was originally used to heat up laundry water tubs.Mine had cast iron legs under it.Couldn't realy burn standard chunks of wood in it,to small of a fire box,but boy,it did a great job of heating up the living room with just small stuff and scrap wood.I had a piece of stove pipe on it that was beveled down to a 6 inch pipe.
212.jpg
212.jpg

Paul
# Posted: 13 Dec 2012 08:16

Great story and picture ray. Its very reassuring to know that someone use one of these in a small space. Did yours have a damper on it? Did you shovel the ashes out? The stove loves inch thick 8-10 inch long sticks, that's not really a problem here in the Ozarks. I have tons of bur oak brush dead fall. Thanks for all of you help folks.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.