Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Colorado's Solargon Prefab Cabins
EvoQ
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 21:31 - Edited by: EvoQ

I came across this Colorado company that makes prefab yurt like octagonal Cabins. I really liked the way these prefab cabins looked.

And with everything prefab you can install one of these in one day in the smaller 20foot sizes. With R28 walls and R42 Ceiling panels they claim a difference of 35 degrees temperature Without Any Heat source !

Maybe some of you might be interested as the prices are Not that bad, they even have the 30 foot larger cabins that can be added together to make larger cabins.

Here is a nice description of the Cabin

And then if you want to go to the Company Solargon Website go here.

This might just the ticket for those that want an Instant place that looks great and can be fully Off Grid or LEED certified efficient.

hattie
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 21:47

These look great!! Would probably work really well in areas that are difficult to access!!! Thanks for sharing.

Nirky
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 20:26

Hmm, they don't make the pricing info available on their website, they want you to contact them. I'm guessing their prices will be a bit shocking.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:19

Being SIPs the cost will be higher. We had quotes for just the panels and delivery that were 12k - 22k for a simple rectangle (walls and roof). The best deal we found was using cut offs from a manufacture that built prefabs. It still didn't save much money in the long run, but upfront it was a few grand less.

EvoQ
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 11:51

The first article I linked to had mention of a price for the smaller model. I believe it was $24,000.00 you pay for instant construction in 1 day and for that ultra High Efficiency, also the LEED certification.

For someone that wants a solid instant super insulated cabin this is a good choice. For me I am building my own, of my own design, over the course of a few weeks, not n the 1 day as advertised..lol.. but you can't argue with R42 Ceilings, and R38 walls

I believe I saw where the cabin would be 35* warmer than outside air without Any inside heating. The thicker the sprayed in foam the higher the R value, I am going with 2x6 exterior walls myself for where I will be at will have major snowfall and super cold winters. In the higher elevations of 8,000 +.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:34

We did ICF walls, spray foam roof and slab on grade with radiant heat tubes. We power that with OnDemand hot water heater.

Our gas bill last month was $29.00. Our gas per unit is high where the cabin is...

So the saving is instant and the heat is so nice. Constant, no drafts, no highs and lows and no dry air.

You're building it smart and you will love it.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 12:36

Oh we lost power for a few days last winter and our temp inside didn't drop more than 10 degrees the whole time.

Nirky
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 15:40

The 20-ft 300 sq ft model starts at $24,000. That doesn't include foundation, finish siding materials and interior finish/flooring/ceiling treatments. This means a 300 sq ft cabin shell owner will already be around $30,000 into it by the time it's ready for any bathroom, kitchen, and appliances. That's small house money. Seems to me a lot to pay just to be more efficient and to "have it now".

But ask me again whenever I get going on my cabin and I might be tempted.

EvoQ
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 17:29

Nirky I agree with what you're saying. Some of us are going to DIY no matter what, other's Need to DIY and then others can afford to purchase a Cabin like this for the Instant-ness of it and also because they can throw the parts in the back of a pickup and drive it up to their property and have a Cabin in no time flat.

I know it's hard for me and you too; but if we both had the money and the property along with the foundation it might be tempting to just buy this and be done with it. If you wanted a small sporting type cabin.

Looks like this company is doing pretty good for themselves too. Whatever the reasoning allot of people have chosen this route. But I hear yas loud and clear, and agree.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.