Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulating existing floor?
Jared
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 16:34

We closed on 5 acres a few weeks ago and there's this shed that I'd like to convert to a cabin. It sits on blocks, but just barely above the ground, so I can't crawl under it in order to insulate the floor. How would one insulate the floor from above and still be able to keep critters from tearing the insulation out from below? I really want to add on to this shed and turn it into a usable cabin.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 17:01

If it's already built and sitting there too close to the ground to crawl under, then the only practical way to insulate the floor is from inside, IMO. Lay rigid XPS foam sheets. Cover wiyh another player of plywood and then whatever finish material. That of course reduces headroom and messes with the door threshhold. Plus it means the bottom wall plate is covered by the foam thickness and you may need to add 2x's down at the bottom to have something to fasten wall paneling and base trim to.

But, everybody needs a shed at their cabin; at least I believe so. I believe they are so necessary I have two; 8x8 and a 9x16. So if it was me, I'd keep the shed a shed and build a cabin.

groingo
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:42 - Edited by: groingo

I guess it all depends on where you are and how cold it gets.
Regardless, first step would be to skirt any gaps between ground and under the building, second, on the bare inside flooring I place heavy plastic sheeting on the floor to provide a barrier, then place some common 1/2 inch carpet padding and then your carpet, I'm in Western Washington and the past few winters have been cold and long but now into my second season using this system....it has worked outstanding, sitting here in my stocking feet as I type!

Jared
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 15:56

Groingo, you don't lose a lot of heat like that? With no insulation in your floor?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.