Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Mancelona, MI Too
rmielen
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 02:41

I'm building a 12 x 16 hunting shed and I plan to do the roof with a pitch of 10/12-2x6 rafters. Would it be safe to put them 24" on center? I know there is a lot of snow load. Also, I plan to put the building on 6 x6 skids. Can I get away with using 2-6x6x16's or should I go with 3, thanks.

doo-drew
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 07:07

Yes you could do 24 oc but for the little but more in $$ I'd go 16oc. Also it will make it easier to insulate. Also go with at least 3 skids. If you plan on ever moving it you really need 5. If you only have 3 on a move it could pivot on the center. Are you doing 2x4 or 2x6 floor joist?

rmielen
# Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:51

Hi, thanks for responding. You know, I don't think that i'm going to insulate. Now when you say, "moving it", do you mean releveling it,or moving it somewhere else. I don't plan on moving it anywhere else. I agree that it will be much easier to insulate with 16 on center, but I'm more concerned about roof strength.
I am going with 2x6 for the floor joists. I don't want to get too extravagant or spend a lot of money on this, just the important basics. I want it to look good, but at the same time, I don't want the roof to cave in on me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.