Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Posts and Foundation
MJW
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 18:04

Maybe I am over thinking this but as the time gets closer on having holes drilled and posts set for the foundation I feel like the more I read the less I know.

Wanting to make sure everything is square so here is my question.

Is it really as simple as setting batter boards and measuring for equal length crossways for the outside of the walls?

As I understand it from research, you can cantilever out over your beam a distance up to the height of the joist. We are using 2 x 12s so that would mean we could go as much out as one foot beyond the beam in any or all directions.

Knowing you have this much play in the amount you can go out and over, is it really that crucial that the posts are all perfectly square? If they are off, can this not be "corrected" by the joist installation?

I have searched high and low for videos and information on this and found little to nothing that was really definitive.

Any help is appreciated.

larry
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 21:41

the way i squared my posts was with string. lay it our with stakes and strings, square the strings by measuring corner to corner, if the distance is equal you are square.

MJW
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 22:08

Thanks, Larry. That is what I thought but just thought I would bounce it off of the ones here who have done it.

I tend to make things more complicated than they really are.

razmichael
# Posted: 2 Jan 2013 08:26

Although you want to get the posts as square as possible, as you noted you can cantilever the joists out (do not need to be the maximum "allowable" amount) and this will provide you that extra adjustment. Another reason many use this technique is that it will keeps the posts slightly under the cabin rather than sticking out when using concrete tubes, blocks etc that are wider than the actual beam sitting on them. my foundation was a poured perimeter pad below frost level and then concrete block piers (standard rebar and concrete fill bits and pieces). By cantilevering the joists 6 inches it made the piers less obtrusive.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.