Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What kind of costs do you think it would take to replicate the shell of this guard house?
regress
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 17:40 - Edited by: regress

I was hoping some of you might be able to help me in estimating some general build costs.

I've attached some photos beneath of a guard house on a military base built in the 50's.

I was hoping to build a workshop/office which resembles (as near identical as possible) this guard house from the exterior.

Assuming that I was just building an empty shell (with the interior to be insulated and finished at a later date, what kind of materials costs do you figure I would be looking at to build the shell of this guard house (along with the roof)

How many labour hours do you reckon a competent contractor would bill me for, if I was to contract the shell build out?

I would also need to lay a foundation.

The location already has septic and a drilled well, but lets assume i'm not hooking those up yet either. Just building a water and snow proof shell for now, with a finished exterior only (interior will be finished at a later date)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

VTweekender
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 18:13

That can be replicated fairly easily.....looks to be about 16 x 16....the shell should be around $25 sq. ft. , materials and labor, including the floor.

regress
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 18:20

I appreciate the feedback.

That would put the cost somewhere around $6,400

Might I ask what % of that should be labour vs. materials?

If I were to opt to make the building a little more secure, by not including any windows. Would this make it any cheaper? I assume not much? (I realize having windows can be nice, but as the building will often be alone and empty, not having windows might make it a lot more secure long term)

Thanks again for the feedback.

VTweekender
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 18:32

The percentage of cost would be about half labor - half materials.....cost wouldn't change much either way with or without windows...assuming the windows would be nothing special..

Martian
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 18:50

Is the roof flat? It looks like you're going to want to use a rubberized roofing material. That may add a little.

Tom

regress
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 18:54

How do you best suggest approaching a flat roof?

What's the most economical way to ensure it stays water tight?

Martian
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 19:21

Rubber roofing glued to plywood. You have to make sure that the rafters are close together to ensure the roof doesn't ever sag between rafters, and you want a double layer of 3/4 plywood, Put 30# felt between the layers, and maybe, when it leaks, you can just replace the top layer.

Tom

johng
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 23:42

The barrier gate would take a little fabricating skills but I'm pretty sure I have seen a speed limit sign locally.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.