Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Making pad for cabin
optimistic
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 17:18

Hey all!

I ordered my 12x12 shed today and I want to drive up next weekend and prepare the pad for it. It will be done with PT 4x4 creating 14x14 pad. I will drive those bolts in the ground for the 4x4 (can someone give a link to the home depot/lows item for that ?) and then I will fill it with crushed stone.

Any tips or remarks on how to do this?

VTweekender
# Posted: 8 Jan 2013 22:19 - Edited by: VTweekender

I assume you want to border a 14x14 stone pad , maybe 8" deep, with PT 4x4 is what you are talking about?

I don't think I would worry about anchoring those borders to the ground as I can't see them bearing weight......I think I would just buy 4 boards PT 2x8 in 16 ft. , cut them to size and tie the 4 corners together inside using the extra 2 ft pieces that were cut as angle braces......

optimistic
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 08:01

Then I was off... ;)

The shed company recommends doing 4-6" deep crushed stone pad. So I thought to just buy 4x4s and just place them on the ground without burying them.

If you think I should do otherwise - please tell.

VTweekender
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 09:45 - Edited by: VTweekender

Thats what I meant when I said "border", make a box set above ground, level the border box, fill with stone......but to me, 4" would be a bit thin.....and actually would be 3 1/2 in lumber size....I would use 2 x 8.....actual would be 7 1/2 tall......

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:04

A box with 14 foot long sides made from 2x material on edge will need staking in several places along each side to prevent eventual bowing outwards of the 2x. I would use 6x6 PT timbers and stake them to the ground with 3 to 4 foot lengths of 1/2" rebar. Long Timberlok screws to hold the corners together, although corners can be pinned with rebar in drilled holes as well.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 10:40 - Edited by: PA_Bound

Opti... Is the shed company telling you that you should put some form of border around the pad? I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I'm not sure it's necessary, particularly if the pad is only 6" deep and 2' wider than the building.

My pad is anywhere from just an inch or two deep in the front, to almost 2 feet deep in the back. I don't have any boarder around it and, more than a year later, have seen no settling or spreading. You do have to be careful when walking on the deeper areas, but I normally don't walk on the pad anyway.

One advantage if you do put a border down, is make sure the top edge is level front-back and left-right. Then when you dump the fill it will make it much easier to gauge how level it is- particularly if you fill to the top edge.

One last thought, if you do put a boarder down, make sure there is some form of ramp on the front edge in case they need to back onto the pad to unload the cabin.

rayyy
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 05:50 - Edited by: rayyy

I don't think they mean an actual wood frame,Opt.It's just a pile of crushed stone raked off level on top several feet bigger than the building.The stone just tappers down to the ground out side the building a couple of feet away.Like a railroad track bed.The builder should have pressure treated runners built right in to the shed.

optimistic
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 13:36

Sorry for my late response. Been a bit busy.

VT - the company recommends using 4x4, 4x6, or 6x6. I don't mind going to 4x6 it's just that my wife is the one who will help me and I need to lower the work load of any work so she can help. BTW - she says that she will make a contract and stick it to the cabin with what she is willing to do... hhh.

Don - I was planning on using the 1/2" rebar. You read my mind. For corners I was thinking about those simpson angle braces that have 6 holes in them. So 6 screws will hold each corner which seems strong enough. I think the long screws will be hard to aim on such a long stretch.... and beside: The rebar should help with not allowing it to move.

PA - yeah they recommand bordering it: http://www.shedsunlimited.net/ShedPads.html
Good thinking about the ramp... I was panning to by several 2x12 12 footers to lay down for them if there is too much mud in some spots - that can be used for ramps as well.

rayy - check out the link I gave.

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 11 Jan 2013 14:24

Looks like the page provided has the detail you need. However, like mentioned above a 4x4 is 3.5" so you'd need to used 6x6 PT instead.

As for an item number. Call Home Depot and ask for their Pro Desk...they'll get you a quote and make sure they are there before you arrive. Also call your local lumber yard. You might be able to get longer length that make for less waste.

Looks pretty simple with the pics and diagrams they gave. Fasten frame together and fill in with 4-6" gravel.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.