Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / What Type Of Pine Trees Are These? Cabin Building?
Hoosierboy
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 07:33

My family owns a bunch of property in Illinois. These trees were planted years ago for windbreak. Many of them are dying, and loosing branches. I might be able to get the live ones cut out and save what ever I can. I would plant better trees in their place

The family knows I am a cabin junkie, and I might be able to get these to build a small cabin.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 07:48

They appear to be Red Pine also know as Norway Pine

beachman
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 07:49

I call these Red Pines. They are all over our property at our camp. The trunks turn really reddish brown when they get wet and the bark is flakey. Someone else may have a more technical name.

Just
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 08:18

if they have two needles in a node they are red pines if they have five they are white pine..

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 09:05

Quoting: Just
if they have two needles in a node they are red pines if they have five they are white pine..

And if they are 3, then its a Ponderosa pine. By my work, there is a pine with 4 needles, I cant not find out what type it is.

In my area, they look like a Lodgepole pine, but around here, you have to be about 4000 feet and higher to see those. There is also a Jack pine (may have another name) which looks close to lodgepole, but grows much lower in elevation.

Just
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 19:59

So how many would a southern yellow pine have????

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 20:30

What tree is that?

Just
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 20:44 - Edited by: Just

the site does not seem to work in reverse Don!!!

Hoosierboy
# Posted: 9 Jan 2013 22:35

Thanks for all the follow up!

I brought a branch back with me from up north, and the wife tossed it, so I cannot really check it out closely.

I am banking on red pine at this poing

Malamute
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:07

They are small, but look like they'd be ok for a small cabin.

Were you saying you'd only use the live ones? I wasn't sure what you meant about the dying/live ones. I've always bought dead standing trees for cabin logs, they are already mostly seasoned. I think most builders I know of and heard of do the same. Green logs are a drag to work with, very heavy and they shrink a lot.

Hoosierboy
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:40

I will be using all that I can, live dead etc... There are many dead, which have been attacked by wood borers.

I am thinking of just a small cabin, and might just build it at the same location. I have a small lake there already

I may get the trees cut down and stacked this winter

TheWildMan
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:06

the pictures are not very clear and I'm not terribly farmiliar with all the trees common in your area, but from the silouette and form in your first picture i would say they are red pine, a type of hard pine commonly used for telephone poles, straight and if treated well can last for years. they may be scotts pine if they have an orange color to them (can't tell from pic) but scotts pine are rarelly straight and uniform like that.

never heard of norway pine, scotts pine are found in norway, and norway spruce are from norway, very commonly planted but not a pine tree.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Jan 2013 21:06

They are for sure Red Pine (Pinus resinosa)! It is the dominant pine planted in the midwest as timber for pulp and lumber....White pine has a different shape, yellow pine is not hardy here and poderosa pine does not like midwest soil.
The beetles are probably pine beetles and they make the wood unusable for anything other than firewood. If the wood touches the ground for more than a season it wont even be good for firewood as it rots and absorbs moisture very quickly when exposed to soil.

Dave "the Horticulturalist"

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.