Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Odd roof idea
Rifraf
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 22:55 - Edited by: Rifraf

I was curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Note that these ideas are of the late night, bored type.. but im interested enough in options to post here

I was thinking of adding a material over my existing shingles but attaching it so that there is six inches or more of air space between it and the existing roof.

Heres why:

In the summer with my AC its a cool indoor environment, my long term goal it go get as off grid as possible.. but I dont want to fry in the summer heat.. I was thinking a shade layer would help.. I then thought the only ways do do this would be

A. add it like you would solar panels with a lift kit.. the material may end up weighing too much though for the building load limits.. not sure about this.

B. put up a simple post structure around my existing cabin just a tad wider and taller and attach a simple roof to that. It would only need to block sunlight and handle any weather loads (snow, hail impacts, wind), but in this scenario I would have to dismantle the roof to work on the cabins roof..

C. Green alternatives that im unsure of, Ive heard rumors of planting moss on roofs but my standard shingle roof is not meant for that.

Comments ??

MtnDon
# Posted: 17 Jan 2013 23:38

Ask the company that supplied the shed what the designed load capacity is. Then you cab figure what can be added.

A shade roof does work. The old Land Rovers of the 50 and 60's had a tropical roof option. It was a second steel roof about an inch above the standard metal roof. Front, sides and rear were open. Shade over a home can be done with trees if one has time to wait out them growing. A stand off series of panels might end up being more trouble than it's worth... hard to say. Metal roofing panels could be spaced a few inches above the other roof. How to secure and seal the penetrations of the support framework would need figuring out. A double level roof gets complicated in a hurry. I'm glad we have an unconditioned regular attic here in the desert. R-45 or so in the ceiling. A big structure like a "car" port roof could supply shade, but to be strong enough to withstand whatever the weather will throw at it it could be somewhat expensive.

I would give thought to shingle removal and adding several inches of rigid foam to the roof sheathing. Then another layer of plywood or oab sheathing screwed down with long screws to the rafters. Then a reflective surface roof.

So called green roofs of grass can work too but due to the weights involved when the soil gets wet that needs to be done from the design and planning stage. And it works best on a flat or nearly flat roof.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 06:05

This is an early morning thought... So be warned My wife and I race sailboats in the summer. On hot day with no wind or cold wet days, when done racing we setup the bimini for shade or protection from the rain. Ours is home made out of PVC pipe and tarps. The bimini has held through 30+ winds. Granted our 3/4" PVC would not work on your shed.. However there may be a way to setup a framework that could be used to pull a tarp over the roof when needed.

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 11:44

Another option is a so called 'cool roof' which is a white colored roll-out roofing material that welds together at the seams. Not impractical or impossible on a remote small cabin, but you would have to learn the installation techniques. These are in common use on commercial roofs and some residential now. They reflect rather than absorb sunlight and make a very big difference on AC needs.

Rifraf
# Posted: 18 Jan 2013 16:34 - Edited by: Rifraf

I found this.. I like the system I could anchor both ends to the cabin and just roll out the shade on hot days.. but its motorized.. makes it expensive and doesnt fall into the off grid theme im heading for.

Retractable Roof

i think i could design something like this with PVC pipe and black out fabric , although it would be manual roll out .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.