Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood stove pipe cost???
SonnyB
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 10:30

I just had a company close to me figure the cost of single wall pipe up to the trusses and then out the roof. I was really suprised at the cost they told me $1,000.00 just for the pipe and not installed!
They told me that it would only cost $200 to install everything and that did not sound that bad.

Is this about right??

I have a 12/12 pitch metal roof and the walls are 12' tall.

trollbridge
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 10:39

The single wall pipe was cheap but the stainless outdoor cost an arm and a leg How much of each did they figure? Installation sounds reasonable and well worth it, especially if your stove is in a corner with lots of pipe outside. Our piping was one of our largest expenses and 1200.00 sounds about right for what we spent.

Dillio187
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 10:41

seems pretty steep to me, but it really depends on what exactly they quoted you for.

3 foot sections of single wall black stove pipe are about $6 here in Minnesota. It's the Class A (shiny stainless pipe) which adds up fast. Menards sells 36" sections of it here for $62, so if you need over 10 feet, you can see it adds up quickly.

You also have to factor in the cost for the support box, roof thimble, rain collar, cap, pipe convertors, and possible support for the chimney on the roof.

bhebby
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 13:10

Do your homework since most hearth shops dont accept returns. I got my stove cheap and that the only thing that kept the costs down but its so much better than propane heat in my opinion. Tractor supply sells the double wall stainless cheaper than most in NY, I used double wall interior pipe to reduce my clearances.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 14:06

I bought my stove for $129 at harbor freight (vogelzang boxwood, onsale) for a through the wall kit i spent about $340 (cheapest i could find around here, same brand but individual stores sell at diferent prices, local company wanted $700 for it, tractor supply co was cheapest), each section of black stove pipe was about $7, plus the T, that stuffs cheap, and $110 for each of 2 stainless tripple wall chimney sections. all in all i spent $1000 on the whole setup and did the work myself.

last winter i could not afforrd as much so cut a hole in the wall, nailed a sheet of galvanized steel over it with a 6" hole in it, ran the single wall pipe out as the chimney, did not meet code, was a huge safety hazard as the smoke outside cooled very fast and i had to clean it weekly to prevent fire from creosote buildup (caused by the rappid cooling of smoke). this is whats reffered to as through the window (sheet steel over a window is a cheap way its done), its not in code due to the creosote chimney fire hazard. i was more concerned about not freezing than being in code, when i could get a proper chimney installed i did.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 14:10

my cabins only 1 story, the chimney had to be 3' higher than the top of the roof to meet code, 2 sections did that.

the hole in the wall way cost me about $75 to setup the whole thing

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 17:05

Sonny, a 4 foot section is $200. I had my stove installed, ie they did everything. Was $1,900. 2 guys, about 6 hours.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 17:16

It is not all that unusual to spend more on the chimney than on the stove.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 17:17

Don, bought my stove off craiglist for $100.

beachman
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 18:23

I was told - and this seems to make sense - that the newer stoves give off efficient heat so you don't need to rely on heat from the pipe. I got double-walled pipe so I could place the stove closer to a wall within the specs provided. A 3ft section of double-walled ran about $85. The stainless kit for the cathedral ceiling ran about $150. The stainless portion out the top - must have been about 4ft, ran I think about $115. So look at the age of the stove you plan to use and how close you want to be to combustible objects. Mine was a new stove and the whole thing works great.

SonnyB
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 10:57

Thanks for all the info! I have an old stove that I built the hearth and set the stove in place. I am going to look at Tractor Supply since there is a new one near me. I have been checking on line and found the pipe for around $750 for all of it.

Anyone ever use one of those silicone red boots that are rated for wood stoves?
20130119_wood_stov.jpg
20130119_wood_stov.jpg
20130119_Wood_stov.jpg
20130119_Wood_stov.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 13:07

The roof boots work very well. We have one on the chimney and several other smaller ones for other vent perforations.

bobbotron
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 13:54

Quoting: beachman

I was told - and this seems to make sense - that the newer stoves give off efficient heat so you don't need to rely on heat from the pipe. I got double-walled pipe so I could place the stove closer to a wall within the specs provided. A 3ft section of double-walled ran about $85. The stainless kit for the cathedral ceiling ran about $150. The stainless portion out the top - must have been about 4ft, ran I think about $115. So look at the age of the stove you plan to use and how close you want to be to combustible objects. Mine was a new stove and the whole thing works great.

I kinda wish I'd bought single wall for the indoor pipe. We got double wall black pipe for indoors, I want that heat to stay in the cabin!

bldginsp
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 15:17

I use this website to price all the parts:

http://www.ventingpipe.com

Also, Simpson Co, which makes the Dura Vent brand line of chimney pipe parts, has lots of brochures with pictures of parts required for the different types of possible installations, showing you the different parts involved. Check out the product catalogue here:

http://www.duravent.com/ProductDocumentSearch.aspx

Statistically, lots of fires start from bad or compromised woodstove chimney installations. Worth doing the research and doing it right.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.