Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Will skid foundation work for something like 24x60 or 30x50?
murphyteam
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 13:07

Hello...I know this is larger building than most...but looking to build for myself and my 3 kids full time...just acquired the land...level building site with good solid ground/soil. This forum has given me more info in 1 day of reading than several weeks of research and buying 2 homebuilding books.

If I went with 24x60...I am guessing that I would run 3 skids the length...6x8 or 6x12 skids?

If 30x50...4 skids?

I plan on going with PT ground contact skids.

Thanks for any comments/insight.

-Steve

TheWildMan
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 14:12

i have no idea, but prebuilt storage buildings come up to that size 24x60 andd are delivered on a truck built on skids, so i guess it would work

murphyteam
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 17:41

thanks for input thewildman...I can't find any examples of others doing this, so throwing it out to this group for sanity check

tecumseh
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 20:56

I'm doing my 12x16 on two skids. If there is settling, then it would be easier for me to level it with two. I know your cabin is bigger, but three should suffice. It would not hurt to go with a large surface area with a wider skid. Just make sure that the flooring doesn't go over the skids by a foot, from what I was told.

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 22:06

I see future leveling problems with something that size. I would not go down that road if I was building a full time residence and wanted to be able to pass it on to my kids.

How would you propose to add shims or whatever to the center beams/skids when leveling that becomes necessary?

Would you want to insulate the floor? How?

Does the ground freeze?

murphyteam
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 22:58

Thanks MtnDon...I have been reading posts/info all day...great stuff... and I did come across a thread that you replied to in the same context..."if it is full-time do it right the first time with a real foundation"(or something like that)...so I am going back to investigating/planning pier/beam options.

No real harsh weather...Northern California...but still need a good insulated building.

Thanks again!
-Steve

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 23:38

Quoting: murphyteam
Northern California.

Is a building permit needed for your location? Almost everyone I know in CA has had to get permits, although I do know of three there who have managed to remain unbothered if not undetected.

murphyteam
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 00:00

my plan is to do my best on the unbothered/undetected approach...off-the grid...private gated road...we will see how that works out...been through both permit and no permits with previous projects so I am comfortable with pros/cons and risk...as well as consequences...I will post pics as I get my project going...a few months off...have to tackle septic and water well first

John Doe
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:15

24x60 or 30x50 is not a small cabin, it's a house (that's 1400 - 1500 sq ft). A proper house foundation would be best.
If you still plan on skids, my suggestion would be to put your skids on poured concrete pads, (bottom of which should be below your local frost line), spaced according to 'deck span tables' that you can google. Strip footings would be best (solid concrete the entire length of each skid).
Your skid spacing should follow the same deck span tables which would depend on your floor joist material, i.e. 2x6, 2x8, 2x10 etc.
You might consider building a pole barn type structure and adding a concrete or wood framed floor.

John Doe
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 11:36

Which ever building method you choose, it will be mighty hard to fly under the radar with a foot print that large. I would urge you to get the proper permits with engineered plans 'cause it would break your heart and probably mine too if you got caught and they made you tear it down.
Some areas allow un-permitted buildings if... they are portable (moveable) &/or under a certain sq footage, say 400 sq/ft, or considered an outbuilding. Several small buildings attached to each other, yet portable (on skids) might be a gray area.
Good Luck !

murphyteam
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 14:13

Thanks John Doe...yes...my early excitement after securing the land is smacking up to reality...all good though...back to the drawing board and investigating more options on scaling down "phase 1" and taking more time and not rushing it...that will help in getting the necessary permits...appreciate the suggestions.

Anyone ever convert a mobile office trailer??? hahaha...that will be another thread if I make that happen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.