Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Timber Frame/Log Cabin
Tom W
# Posted: 23 Jan 2013 16:05 - Edited by: Tom W

I know my project does not quite fall in the "small cabin" area being 26X30 but this is the only forum that is not bias towards any one type of construction.

Other forums if you mention another type of building they all get upset, here it seems anything goes.

So here is my question.

Full timber frame with log walls butt and pass.......thoughts?

I know the walls will shrink and the timber frame won't as much but the roof system will be carried by the timber frame. I think my only issue may be a gap at the top where the walls meet the roof over time.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 24 Jan 2013 08:11

Tom,

One common approach for "Timber Frame" construction is to enclosue the frame by setting walls on the outside (typically sip panels). This leaves the frame exposed on the inside. Are you intending to enclose the frame by building an outside wall with logs using an "Butt and Pass" technique? Or were you thinking of building the log walls between the posts and beams of the "Timber Frame"?

Tom W
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 00:15

I was leaning towars the butt and pass on the outside of the timber frame....but that leaves me with alot of different shrinking areas.

I think I have settled on Piece Sur Piece construction using logs as the infill of my timber frame. Again shrinking issues with the infill, but it should be minimal due to no load on the logs.....

I really don't know what I want. I know I want a timber frame and I want log walls.

With Piece Sur Piece atleast I can get my roof on the timber frame or post and beam I should say....and work under the roof. I live in a rainy climate so this is a huge bonus.

I am also flying solo on this project so laying out green 8x8x16 timbers on the log walls is a issue. I can manage to wrangle a few bodies to raise a frame in a day. And then use the frame to rig up lifting gear.

Tom W
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 00:26

So here is another thought.....Post and Beam frame with log walls concerns me in that there is nothing connecting opposite walls to support them as the roof will be supported by the posts.

What if I put the posts on settling jacks so I could secure the logs to the posts and lower the frame with the walls over time??

This is just too complicated....but why be sheepish and run with the herd?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 11:37

Quoting: Tom W
Full timber frame with log walls butt and pass.......thoughts?

Why?

This is just too complicated...

Agreed.

fpw
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 11:43 - Edited by: fpw

Piece en Piece seems to be a match (short logs scribbed to to fit with a tenon on each end the slides into a slot on the post). I wouldn't build full log walls outside a frame.

A 1/2 dovetail structure might be something to consider. Dovetail work can be done using timbers or logs.

With any type of building (log, timber, or tradition), you can make a roofing system and expose the timbers on the inside.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 27 Jan 2013 18:01

With Piece Sur Piece atleast I can get my roof on the timber frame or post and beam I should say....and work under the roof. I live in a rainy climate so this is a huge bonus.

I may be reading to much into your comment. But it seems that one of the key reasons for the timber frame is to establish a protected area for project.

An option would be to frame between the timber frame posts and finish the walls with log siding. That would remove the shrinkage concerns. You then get the advantage of being able to run wiring/plumbing etc in a stick frame approach.

Just a thought.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.