Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / way to cut metal siding
flatwater
# Posted: 13 Dec 2009 22:04

On my addition to my cabin and the orriginal one , I will be siding with metal. I was told to put a skill saw blade in backward to cut the metal and this works pretty good but is a little rough. Are there better ways to do this. I don't like using the metal shears.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 14 Dec 2009 13:21

I've cut some metal sheeting with a very thin Metal cut wheel on my right angle grinder...then clean up with a mill file.

pumpmansp
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 18:11

yes there is there is a tool that fits your drill, cost is about 80 to 100 dollars ,works great easy to use and doesnt bend metal up,,hope this helps..

flatwater
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 22:14

Yes it does, thanks for the replys

Anonymous
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 23:02

use a panel blade the right direction. Make SURE you wear eye protection because of very small pieces of flying metal

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 11 Jan 2010 19:33 - Edited by: elkdiebymybow

You can by an electric metal shears if I recall they run about $175.00 from milwalkie (sp?) tool. They work very well. I used that when I did the metal roof on my cabin.

You can also flip a skill saw blade around and use that to cut metal very effectively. Make sure to install it the opposite direction you would while cutting wood!

I also found that in some cases a good pair of metal hand shears worked very well.

Cedar Trip
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 00:59

One of my 2 cabins is build entirely out of corigated tin I used a metal/masonry blade that I would cut about 3 panels at a time, (yes it throws tinny peices of metal) plus I used a good pair of hand shears, probablly used the shears more often. Most cuts where accross the corigated which was accually easier that leanthways. Cutting leanthways was a bit harder to cut and to keep straight. I just overlaped instead up cutting leathways to finish the last peices. I used a marker first to make my line. The self tapping screws with rubber washers went in with no problems at all.

Cedar Trip
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 01:29

Cabin
Cabin
Cabin

elkdiebymybow
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 17:50

Great looking cabin Cedar! You need a statue of the tin man out front. Looks fantastic. How does it do with the heat on hot days?

Cedar Trip
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 18:58

You would'nt believe it but it really stays cool during the summer and it is insulated. I think the sun just bounches off of it. When its in the 90s outside its at least 10-15 deg cooler inside.

flatwater
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 22:00

Nice cabin alright, How many pair of sun glasses do you own ?

Cedar Trip
# Posted: 12 Jan 2010 22:39 - Edited by: Cedar Trip

YES you Guys it might seem bright... but It has really turned out great and maybe one day we will paint it camo, We do joke about that. But No its not that bright and it wont attract lighting either, which I did alot af research on :) . I would do it again, but next time I would invest in a bigger box of BandAids. We figure there wont be much maitenance either and it seems to work out great in the winter and summer. Im still shocked of how cool it keeps in the Hot summer. The smaller windows were a decision we made to make it a bit more secure from break-ins. It will be our sleeping quarters etc. Our other cabin a few feet away will be our kitchen and gathering area, this one has all the windows.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.