Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Anyone have free plans on how to make a tree cut table?
RuHappy69
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 20:02

I have a big tree that fell over in hurricane Sandy that was cut up but there are still several pieces laying about. I only have an 18 inch chain saw but was thinking of slicing 3" sections and making some tables for inside or on my deck but can't find good plans.

Just
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 22:34

Let the wood dry at least 2 years before you cut the slabs or it will crack badly and be useless.,,as it is, you will probibley need to waste the first cut anyway. nail some plywood on the bottom . drill 3 , 1 1\2 holes every 120 * around the edge of the round about 4 in in from the edge splaying the holes outward about 15 * ..save 3 , 3 in limbs from the tree 16 in long turn a 1 1\2 dowel on the ends and glue in the holes .sand and poly the top.sides and legs..I'v made a few can't find a pic sorry

fpw
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 07:57

A few ideas attached in the photos. I normally work with the wood when it is green. Fine for timber framing. The stool design below uses legs that are attached with a hardwood spline. Since the main portion will dry and shrink after a year I have to sand the piece again as the top of the legs will start to bump up.

If I don't use the wood right away, I put some Anchor seal on the ends to minimize checking.
table_1.jpg
table_1.jpg
table.JPG
table.JPG
stool2.jpg
stool2.jpg
stool3.jpg
stool3.jpg

exsailor
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 10:06

I would make sure the wood has a chance to season and dry out before you make any tables. If you leave it in log form attached to the root ball it will stay wet and rot. We lost a lot of good wood, after Isabel because it wasn't cut to log and left on the root ball. Cut it into usable log lengths and let it cure, then your end pruduct shouldn't warp twist or crack. FPW does some fantastic work as you can see by the pictures, get his input for working with harvested wood. I particulry like table_1 and Stool3.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.