Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / T&G ceiling
bukhntr
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 20:27

has anyone experience using the thin boards approx 5/16 or 3/8 toungue and groove v groove paneling like lowes and Menards sell for a ceiling. I am wanting to go right against the paper vapor barrier of insulation attaching at the rafters

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 21:09

I've used the thin stuff that is 5/16". IMO, it is best used over a substrate like drywall; 3/8 drywall would work. If you know it will be paneled just seal the joints to be airtight, don't worry about neatness so much.

dfosson
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 21:35

I installed my ceiling using those same boards from Menards right against th paper vapor barrier of insulation stapled to the rafters. I've had no issues at all with it.
cabin
cabin

Rifraf
# Posted: 28 Jan 2013 21:44

I have 3/4 inch car siding (t&g pine with grooves), nailed and glued to my rafters.. so far so good.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 07:57

I agree with MtnDon,

I installed this material in my house over 1/2 inch primed sheetrock. In addition to nailing I also ran a bead of adhesive to bond to the sheetrock. I have never had a problem. However, I hired out a the installation for a separate room. This section was 24" on center with uneven joists. The hired hand did not apply the substrate or attempt to shim the irregularities. In the end this area is showing gaps. The good thing is that he was cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Another consideration: In addition to expansion and contraction over the seasons (this was why I added the bead of adhesive), there will be knot holes. So if your paper is bright white and the boards are stained brown the knot holes will become very visible. I would recommend that the material behind the T&G be prepared with a similar color to your final finish.

Jerry
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 10:21

It would depend on the spacing of the rafters. 5/16" spanning 24" O.C. wouldn't be a good idea. If you're spanning 16" O.C. You might be alright. Make sure you aclimate your materials to the room you're applying them in.

Rifraf
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 16:01 - Edited by: Rifraf

Hm, I did nothing special behind my Car siding that I put up.. its just over the insulation nailed to the rafters.. been through all summer and now winter with no issues with appearance or warping.. or gaps.

I did glue it to rafters as well.. easy to do just put a bead on each one before you put on each board.. I filmed the backside of every knot with wood glue.. Knots if they are severe enough will dry and "drop the knot" so to speak.. so to be safe on this I just put a layer of glue over knots on the backside to hold them in there.

Kudzu
# Posted: 29 Jan 2013 18:14

Ever thought of tin, it really looks good.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.