Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Calculating rafter & roof beam sizes (wind load & snow load)
helena
# Posted: 30 Jan 2013 18:15

Trying to figure out my rafter and roof beam sizes. On little buildings I "guess" and then beef up a bit but, this I'm going to be sleeping under and we had hurricane force winds last night that got me paranoid!

Building is 20' x 20'. I'm going the pole construction route so, have buried 9 - 6x6 posts 3 and half feet in the ground. So, I have spans of 10 feet every direction.

I'm doing a turf roof and have figured out the following for my loads:

Turf fully rain saturated - 1" depth of turf = 7 lbs. per square foot

I will be cutting turf 2-3" thick so make it 21 lbs. per square foot

Is that my total DEAD load or do I need to factor in weight of sheathing/sarking and rafters?

How do I figure out my LIVE load? Are environmental loads calculated in as the LIVE load?

My worst case scenario environmental loads are:

SNOW LOAD:

1" inch snow = 1.25 lbs. psf
20" inches snow = 25 lbs psf

WIND LOAD:

I calculate the strongest wind to be 120 mph.

Calculating windspeed to pressure (.00256 x V2) V=120 mph

.00256 x 14400 = 36.86

with the addition of "drag coefficient" for flat square surfaces you multiply above x 2.

36.86 x 2 = 73.73 lbs. psf

So, total environmental load, worst case scenario is roughly 100 lbs psf!

How do I factor in the environmental loads of snow and wind?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.