Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cedar shingle underlayment
Porchdog
# Posted: 2 Feb 2013 12:19

New member here> Situation: finished the shell of cabin last Fall, "wrapped" in Typar. Planned on cedar shingle siding but found out maybe Typar not best . #30 lb felt should be used? since cedar has tannin issues. Not against using felt next spring..question is Should I tear off Typar then felt only or can I just add felt over Typar?
any help appreciated..will share info on cabin efforts so far later

Martian
# Posted: 2 Feb 2013 14:51

You can leave the Typar on, but you must cover it with a breather layer. It is a mesh that gets stapled on before you nail on the shingles. If you want to learn all about wood shingle installation, Google 'Red Cedar Shingles and Hand-split Shake Bureau.'

Tom

Porchdog
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 07:56

Thank you Tom.

Probably best and definitely more economical to tear off the Typar, then apply felt and proceed . Will find ways to use the Typar thru coming years.

Martian
# Posted: 3 Feb 2013 09:07

PD, whatever you do, make sure there is an air gap beneath the shingles on any surface that isn't vertical. If done properly, cedar shingles can last 100 years.

Putting shingles onto a vertical surface is quick and easy if you use a ledger board to set them on. Be sure to not use shingles wider than 8" or narrower than 3". I break the bundles apart and cut a variety of 3, 5, and 7 inch wide pieces from the bigger shingles. Keep a block plane handy to shave off a little here and there. Don't use staples or stainless steel nails! A galvanized #5 box nail is perfect. No more than 2 nails per shingle. Be sure to maintain a 1/4-3/8" gap between shingles.

Have fun! Putting on wood shingles is like assembling a jig-saw puzzle without the picture as you maintain the 1 1/2" misalignment between any three vertical spaces.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.