Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Sound-proofing
Elefex
# Posted: 15 Dec 2009 21:37

Hi,

I was wondering how I can sound-proof a cabin? Looking for less expensive methods.

Thank you

flatwater
# Posted: 15 Dec 2009 22:13

One way would be to cover the walls with carpet. Think of it like thick wall paper. If your out in no mans land why sound proof ? If your by a busy road put in some thick shrubary in front. Just what type of noise are you trying to keep out?

Vince P
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 11:03 - Edited by: Vince P

It is important to note that wood will only transfer sound and in some cases can even amplify it. You can go with sound board, also known as homasote, under your interior wall sheathing.
If your trying to drown out unwanted sounds, nothing works better than a wall or embankment made of stone, earth, or concrete. To sound proof my occasionally-used generator, I hooked up a automobile muffler, located the generator on the ground, under the cabin and surrounded it with cinder blocks. It works very well.
Another option: I have seasonal stream near my cabin that I dammed to make a pond. I am planning to redo the dam so that the exiting water will "cascade" and make a pleasing splash sound that is constant.

Vince P
# Posted: 16 Dec 2009 11:08

This page may be helpful:
http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

Elefex
# Posted: 17 Dec 2009 06:11

Thank you so much--I found a Homasote product that might do the job. It's called 440 SoundBarrier, lets hope it's not too expensive. There is also insulation that blocks out sound but it's probably incredibly expensive to use that as well.

I'm trying to keep out the noise from my neighbors. It's difficult for me to concentrate on anything with human-caused noise

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.