Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Ceiling insulation
efcarter2010@ho tmail.com
# Posted: 14 Feb 2013 18:44

We have just finished installing foamboard insulation between the beams in our 10 x 14 "little house". It was very labor intensive as each panel had to be cut and fitted individually resulting in many trips up and down the ladder. We started today fitting the wood panels and it is also tough work for folks in their 70's. We chose this route because we wanted to leave the beams exposed. First we painted them an off white. The insulation is 1/2 inch and the wood panels are 1/4 inch so we have a nice result. The entire [project is coming along very well. It is a prefab shed (but custom built), that we are using for a guest house next to our travel trailer. Since it is in south Alabama, we are more concerned about keeping it cool than keeping it warm. Earlier this week we "cut and pasted' railings for the front porch that we salvaged from a 1900's genre house in Lenoir City, TN. They were originally paiinted purple so they are really neat.

Purplerules
# Posted: 14 Feb 2013 23:10

Pictures please.......

TheCabinCalls
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 07:58

So I assume the roofing material was already on otherwise it would have been a ton easier to place the insulation and paneling on top.

What will you do to vent the hot air in the summer?

efcarter2010@ho tmail.com
# Posted: 15 Feb 2013 21:47

Yes, the roof was already on. It has a ridge top vent and we left it open at the top. We also have a vent in the back. We do not use this site in the summer ( end of May to first of October), but moisture would be a problem if we used it very much. Right now we just open the windows! It is nothing like the really serious cabins that most on this Forum are building but it has been a lot of fun to put together. I will try for photos when I have better internet access.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 07:53

Having aging joints myself, I feel for you doing this overhead installation. I wish you had done it with 1" or 2" insulation, however, because 1/2" is not going to make much difference. You would have gained more for the same work with thicker insulation.

But what you did will help I'm sure, and you'll be proud, and your guests will be happy.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.