Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / how to measure "height above grade" on a slope
redwoodgirl
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 14:46

hi,
i am in the planning stage for a small 10x12 cabin in northern california. i am allowed to build "12' above grade" without a permit (no electricity or water). how do i calculate where the "grade" is on a hillside?

tx

VTweekender
# Posted: 18 Feb 2013 15:37 - Edited by: VTweekender

Usually its the "average" grade within the parameter of the building....first you have to determine where the building will be built...put 4 wooden stakes in your 4 corners where the building is going to be.....tie string around stakes at the height of where your piers will be cut, and this using a level on the string .......this string now indicates about where the bottom of your building will start.......add the height in inches of all 4 piers/stakes from ground to string and divide by 4 , will be close to average grade....

finally, deduct this final average figure from the allowed height to build...because this allowed height is with the piers included in that height...so if you have 2 stakes that measure 6" from ground to string, then 2 stakes on the downslope that measure 30" from ground to string , that adds up to 72" total, divided by 4 is 18" average...deduct the 18" from your 12 ft....and thats how high you can build on your piers or blocks.

redwoodgirl
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 13:57

thank you!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 17:30

A better level for setting up piers I saw used once was a bucket of colored water (5 gallons) and a nipple coming out the bottom side with a clear hose atatched to it. Set the bucket of colored water (add coloring to see better) water up, take the end of the clear hose (can be 20 feet or more) then just take that hose with the column of colored water in it will set at the exact same level. Just hold it next to the pier, end of hose pointing upward, read where the column of water is. Adjust bucket to get initial height, then no matter where you are, you will find level witht he column of water.

Does my explanation make sense? It was real slick.

redwoodgirl
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 20:04

this is a great idea, thanks.

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 07:37

I suggest you get specific instructions from the people who are requiring this height limit. Ask them how they are going to determine it, and follow that procedure. Then, make your building 6" or one foot less in height to be sure.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.