Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / amount and spacing of concrete piers
redwoodgirl
# Posted: 19 Feb 2013 14:35

hi,

i am planning to build a 10x12 cabin - with no previous construction experience.
the cabin will sit on a slope on my familiys property in northern california, no snowload, but ocean winds and fog.

i am planning to build on 4x6" PT posts set into 3' deep concrete. i expect the floor platform to be an average of 1' from the ground, maybe 6" in the back and 18" in the front.

how many piers will i need and how far apart should they be spaced?

bldginsp
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 07:43

With a building that small you're probably fine with four at the corners, four in the middle of walls, and one in the center to hold a girder for the floor joists. You could eliminate that one, but a 10 foot span for floor joists will be a bit bouncy with 2x6s, better with 2x8s.

Keep all your untreated wood at least 6" above dirt, hopefully more, to avoid rot.

Good luck!

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 20 Feb 2013 21:53

Sounds like a wonderful setting. We used concrete piers for our 10 X 20 cabin. We had a structural engineer certify the final plan and in our case the the result involved setting four piers along each side of the 20 foot length. Giving a total of eight piers for the cabin. The floor joists are 2x8 and span the 10 foot width. We also attached the building to the piers using 4x6 PT timbers. In addition to supporting the building, these timbers extend to the full hight of the walls.

Best of luck! Post pictures!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.