Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Leveling area... help
optimistic
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 09:10

I will go to my land this weekend to build my shed/cabin pad. I have 6x6 and crushed stone for that. The area is 14ft x 14 ft.

It is not very level to say the least. I was thinking to just work my way with a shovel until it is decent - knowing that the crushed stone will help it settle over time...

Any general tips here?

Also, how crazy should I go with making it level?

Thanks!

Just
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 09:31

+ or - a few in. is fine .make sure it all ends up higher than the surrounding soil .you do not want water collecting under your cabin !!

VTweekender
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 09:33 - Edited by: VTweekender

One reason for the stone is to level the area with the stone......the way you describe what your going to do, is dig and level the dirt first, which is ok as long as you don't dig yourself a water catch basin....if your placing it on the side of a hill you might just dig yourself a catch basin....no need to dig if you have enough stone....and I agree with Just on having the stone above grade.

optimistic
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 13:56

I see. Then if I just level the 6x6, by digging and adding soil, and put less effort to the crushed stone as it will level itself out.

VTweekender
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 15:01

Yes Opti, thats more the idea of what you want to do...hope it all works out for you and you can get it up the road...

optimistic
# Posted: 21 Feb 2013 18:22

Thanks weekender! ;)

Stay tuned for photos on Tuesday/Wed... hopefully with a good story.

buckeyebuck
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 10:53

Here is what we did for the cabin we are building.
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0006.JPG
IMAG0003_4.JPG
IMAG0003_4.JPG

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.