Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Metal Roof Flashing for Skylights
bostonman98
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 10:41

I am hoping to install two 24" x 24" Velux curb mounted skylights, code FCM 2222, when I install my metal roof in a couple of weeks. I was looking up buying a flashing kit and the ones I found are insanely expensive, this one at lowes is $280!, that's what I paid for both skylights!
Anyone have any experience with this? I've never installed a skylight in a metal roof before, do I need to just bite the bullet and buy 2 flashing kits, is there a relatively easy alternative? That seems crazy. Thanks

Martian
# Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:35

Sealing a skylight, in the middle of a span, is hard to do. You need the side pieces to go under the top piece while at the same time going over the roofing, and the bottom piece needs to go under the side pieces to ensure they shed water. What's tricky is having the top piece under the roofing and still getting the sides where they need to be. Its hard to do if you use flat metal flashing and ribbed metal roofing. If you place the skylight close to the top of the run, the top flashing can extend under the ridge cap, but if its in the middle, you need shaped flashing. But, even then its not easy.

Do a good job with butyl rubber of caulking the seams, and chances are it'll be good for several years. However, its a gamble.

Tom

dfosson
# Posted: 28 Feb 2013 18:52

I too was shocked at the price of a flashing kit for metal roof. I used the standard flashing kit for 2 skylights 2'x4' and sealed the flashing with "Through the Roof" sealant and have had no leaks in 3 years. We had to flatten the ribs around the skylight and used roofing screws to tighten flashing and roofing but she's leak tight.
chimney/skylight
chimney/skylight

bostonman98
# Posted: 1 Mar 2013 12:08

dfosson -

When you say standard flashing kit, do you mean the ones for shingles etc.. not metal? Were your skylights curb or deck mounted. Mine are curb mounted, I might have to buy the deck ones though.
I like the look of yours though, seems relatively easy.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 08:54

skylights are probably the single worst leak problem on roofs. I'd scrape up the cash for the flashing kits. Make sure it's made to deal with the height of the ribs of your roofing. I'd make a lot of calls to be sure it's right before I'd buy. the lower end of the flashing needs to extend over the top of the ribs. How does this happen? I don't know, never seen this particular installation. For other roof flashing installations on metal roofing they use flexible aluminum flashings to fit and conform around the ribs. Do they make skylight flashing kits with soft aluminum? Don't know.

dfosson
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 11:00 - Edited by: dfosson

First let me preface that I am a novice builder that has to satsify nobody but myself. I made 4 roof penetrations, 2 for chimneys and 2 for skylights and these were the most stressful concerns of my entire cabin project. The skylights I bought new on Craigslist came with flashing kits for shingles. I shoped for sheet metal kits and was turned off by the price. We used what we had and then sealed all around with Through The Roof clear roof sealant which is the best stuff I've ever used. After 3 years of hard rains and wind, I still have no leaks. Not recommended by a professional builder but then, I'm not paying to have someone build my cabin.
skylight flashing1
skylight flashing1
skylight flashing2
skylight flashing2
skylight flashing3
skylight flashing3
skylight flashing4
skylight flashing4

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.