Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wood stove chimney pipe size???
stevexac
# Posted: 23 Feb 2013 19:20

I'm new here but it seems like a great site with lots of nice interresting people.
I'm building a cabin in central ME. We have a shell up, but ran into winter before we got to the chimney. I bought a used Franklin stove and it is set in place. The outlet for the chimney is 8 in. I will be installing a metalbestos 8 in. chimney. I have noticed that most stoves are 6 in. This brings me to the question. If in the future I replace the stove with one with a 6 in. outlet will the chimney still be appropriate? Any help or opinions would be appriciated.

Thanks

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 23 Feb 2013 20:31

I don't know the stove in question, but I have one in my garage that has an 8" outlet and I just put a reducer to bring it to 6" and used a 6" chimney. It is a straight vertical run in my case so there isn't too much concern about getting enough draft.

It might not be code but depending on the install I would suggest trying to go with a 6" chimney if at all possible (and safe). The chimney is a fairly expensive component and I don't think there are any truely "small-cabins" that would need a stove with an 8" outlet. I have a 1100 square foot house (not including the basement) and I heat it throughout the winter with a wood stove with a 6" chimney (temps down to -40).

Just my opinion.

stevexac
# Posted: 23 Feb 2013 21:17

@ Subarcticguy... That is the set up that was on the stove when i bought it (used). The last owner got rid of it because he had issues with the draft. I saw two possible issues, the reducer and no grate in the firebox. My set-up will also be a straight run. I don't mind the 8 in. chimney, but i'd like to know if its going to work with a 6 in outlet on a stove. just in case that would be in my future. This franklin stove can burn with the doors open--- I'm thinking the draft is very important to keep smoke out of the cabin. thank you Very thankful for all info!!!

SubArcticGuy
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 01:37

That being said, I have tried to run my stove in the garage with the doors open and I do get smoke coming out. If I had an 8" chimney that might not be the case.

Martian
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 09:08

The only time I had trouble with a Franklin stove reduced down to a six inch chimney was when the chimney became clogged, at the very top, with soot.

The problem with a large stove in a small space, is that you end up with a small fire to keep from being too hot. That allows the chimney to soot up pretty quickly. I'd go with the smaller chimney simply because it'll be easier to get the chimney hot so the stove will draw properly. Make sure you have a tall enough chimney, too. Usually, 14-16 feet of chimney/stove pipe is recommended for proper draw.

Tom

beachman
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 15:49

I think the important thing here to avoid smoke, is to ensure there is enough air in your space to draw from. I had a traditional fireplace in our old camp that smoked badly. It had an 8 x 8 lined chimney and would draw a lot of outside air into the camp. A lot of cold outside air. I put in a small woodstove with a 7" pipe that I ran inside the flu. Bottom line, it works great. I think with the Franklin, you may have the smoke regardless of the chimney size unless you have some sort of air feed for the fire. IMHO.

rayyy
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 20:43

I have allway's had 6" chimney pipe on all the wood stoves I ever owned.Never had any problem with draft.Iv'e alway's kept them cleaned out though,too.

stevexac
# Posted: 24 Feb 2013 21:18

Thanks guys.... now i'm leaning towards installing the 6 in. pipe. Cheaper and sounds like it will do the job. Don't have to decide for another few months ..... we'll see

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 25 Feb 2013 15:09

most stoves also have a fresh air intake that should be plumbed outside. This provides the air for the stove.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.