Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Help with my foundation
burtonridr
# Posted: 25 Feb 2013 11:26

So I just made an offer on a property, and now im faced with actually planning. No longer just dreaming with fun sketchup models and things, but actually figuring out how to build on the land I've got.

Our first project is going to be building a 200 sqft guest house, that we will temporarily use until we can finish the 400 sqft main house. I thought I was going to pour 48" deep sono tube footings. But our location is right next to a creek and I believe the water table might only be about 36" deep. We are in SW idaho at about 4000ft elevation and the frost depth per county is 36".... So I'm considering a stem wall foundation now and protecting the perimeter with insulation so it wont have to be so deep. Problem is a stem wall would require ~100 sqft of concrete, which is (~200) 60lbs bags of concrete. I'm not sure if I could tackle that much mixing and pouring in a weekend, could it be poured over the course of a month? Would the concrete bond to each other enough?

Anyone have other ideas for a simpler less expensive foundation that will meet building code requirements?

GomerPile
# Posted: 25 Feb 2013 14:46

Use concrete blocks as filler and/or as forms. You can set them up on your schedule. If you use them as forms (filling the middle) add some 1/2 inch rebar in there and I think you will be just fine mixing concrete over a few days or even weeks.

If you pour a footing you can use broken up blocks as fill, just leave space between them so concrete can flow. Be sure and run rebar lengthwise down the footing.

Is this the *right* way to do it....no....for the small house you describe and given the amount of work it would be....it should work.

Do rent a cement mixer...you should have no trouble pouring 50 bags per day. Also the limit of an F150 is about 25 bags, so you might have to stage materials.

burtonridr
# Posted: 25 Feb 2013 17:59

Thanks for the Reply

Thats a great idea to use concrete blocks, that will really cut down the amount of time I spend on the foundation.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Feb 2013 16:14

Can a concrete truck make it in?

burtonridr
# Posted: 28 Feb 2013 15:25

Probably to the edge of the lot, but not to the location of where we want to put the house.

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 09:00

If a truck can make it to the edge of the property, you can have a concrete pumper come to pump it to the site. In which case you have to order a special concrete mix that the pump will handle.

If a truck can make it to your site, I wonder whether you save that much by using block. Block really only saves time on tall walls where concrete forms become very difficult to construct. For a small stem wall, block causes you to do three procedures instead of one- pour the footing, set the block, pour the grout in the block. A formed up stem wall just requires forms and one pour.

The pumper will be expensive, maybe $400 for the day.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.