Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Is it good enough? (crushed stone)
optimistic
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 21:10

I'm quite dead from loading 6 tons of crushed stone into a small trailer, hauling it for 1500ft with my atv, and dumping it.. I feel like because the land is not so flat - that i need so much more rock.. The problem is that they delivering my cabin shell next week. I was thinking to change my strategy and just let them deliver it, placing it on the crushed stone I have there so far and if it not high enough - raise the cabin with jacks and place it on beams... Any thoughts?

Borrego
# Posted: 2 Mar 2013 22:17

Quoting: optimistic
just let them deliver it, placing it on the crushed stone I have there so far and if it not high enough - raise the cabin with jacks and place it on beams... Any thoughts?

Make sure your foundation is sound, something in the ground, piers, posts, etc...., then your beams or joists..

VTweekender
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 02:54 - Edited by: VTweekender

As long as you have the stone raked out fairly level and its a bit above grade, you should be OK.... 6 ton is about 6 yards of stone, should have been plenty in your 14x14 area......Normally, they will level it with cement blocks when they place it, but maybe have a dozen or so patio blocks there in case they don't have any..

PA_Bound
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 08:29

Opti... your cabin is 12'x12' right?

How much of a pad did you get built with the stone you moved? Dimensions? Depth? Is it level?

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 09:33

when I had mine brought in, the area had to be level within 6 inches. The company just used deck pavers to set it on and level it out. Of course, it eventually settled a bit and now I need to jack up one side and put 1" shims in.

buckeyebuck
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 10:25

We used piers of concrete 2 feet into the ground and then 8" by 8" treated lumber with j bolts and bracket to anchor post to piers. Including a pics
IMAG0005_2.JPG
IMAG0005_2.JPG
IMAG0003_4.JPG
IMAG0003_4.JPG

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 17:00

I agree with VT.We use this method up here in the north east all the time for a pre built building of this size.It probably has 3- 4x4 pressure treated skid plates under it and 6"floor joists spaced every foot.

optimistic
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 17:15

Thanks VT. I will bring pavers with me just in case.

PA - Yes 12x12. the pad is 14x14 but I didn't use the 6x6 after all. in some spots it's about 10" deep and in other spots like 4". The ground itself is obviously not level.

It was rough bringing all that stone in but it will be worth it in the end. It was very magical being there today at 9am. I can't to become a real cabin owner like the rest of you.... it's incredible.

My friend stopped by with his brand new crazy pick up - http://www.autospectator.com/cars/files/images/2012-Ford-F-150-SVT-Raptor-020.jpg

It is basically the size of my cabin. He got it with all the balls and whistles. I told him he won't be able to drive it in... the truck didn't even work hard and just went right in.... Maybe there is hope for my road....

PA_Bound
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 18:49

Opti... if you have at least 4" of stone down, as long as the pad is fairly level I think you will be fine.

bobbotron
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 22:11

Those ford raptors are pretty crazy, I bet it would have worked well even before the road! ;)

We had a 8x10 shed delivered, it's on large patio stones, then shimmed up on cinder blocks, with two skids. Could have done more but would have kind of been overthinking it given the cabin size.

optimistic
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 23:09

Thanks PA!

bob - it is one crazy pick up... He ripped my road so bad I could barely drive it with the ATV after that...

The wheels on that car are just funny...

bobbotron
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 09:25

Bad form, tearing up your friend's road, hope he helps you fix it!

We had a delivery truck put huge ruts in our land, but that was because the soil is so sandy, one accidental wheel spin will put a real gouge in it.

Anonymous
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:25

I wonder how the road will fair with the delivery of your shed?

optimistic
# Posted: 5 Mar 2013 17:54

As long as they get it in... I don't care.

I will worry about the road later. Now that I have the ATV and a working cart - I can bring things in. The car can sit outside.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.