Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / wood stove - what is best, and cost effective, easiest install
tex
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 12:36 - Edited by: tex

We have a cabin that is 9' x 12' in dimension 8-9' ceiling. We have a old, small wood stove, similar to a wood stove they have/had on a ship. Size of wood stove box is approx. 30" x18" x 24"h.

It has a 4 1/2" sleeve/adapter for a 4 1/2" stove pipe.

NOT a 6" hole, or 8", standard hole.

So, the "idea" is to get a 4 1/2" stove pipe single wall, out to ceiling, or optionally right out to make the chimney pipe too, attach a cap/aerator, and cover with a collar of some sort, or buy a new chimney 6" kit, and use a 6" pipe out of the stove. (Which is safe, but, expensive)
cabin front
cabin front
cabin rear
cabin rear
stove location 2
stove location 2

Martian
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 13:09

I would say that, if you can find 4 1/2" pipe, run it from the stove to the ceiling. Transition, at that point, to the 6" chimney pipe. It will be safer than trying to fabricate something as a substitute, and when you replace the stove, it will be a simple matter.

Tom

tex
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 13:38

Thanks for the advice.

I think your right.

Too simply buy a proper chimney kit, 6", and just run a 4.5" / or 6" stove pipe to 6" / or adapter to the chimney kit.

Where best to buy?

Dillio187
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 13:54

where do you live Tex? If there are Menards stores in your area, I have found they have everything you need from the ceiling box, adapters (minus the 4.5" to 6" adapter), roof flashing, collar, cap etc.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Mar 2013 13:56

That stove is what is known generically as a "trash burner" style and its what I have. Problem wi th it is you need setbacks. You will find specs will say around 24" from the wall in the back or sides (rear corners) and enough fire proof hearth under it to have about 18" in front of the loading door. With a cabin that small, it would consume lots of space. I know you can add a shield around the back and sides. to be able to get it much closer. Have the shield wrapped around the back/sides and mount it permanently. I know you can reduce clearances by doing this but it needs to be permanently mounted to the stove (by code) not just a u shaped piece setting on the floor around the back of it.

The little marine types for sailboats would be the ticket, but are spendy. I say add shields, just buy the hearth ready made and you should be good to go.

Is it steel or cast iron? If its steel, you could actually shorten it, add the shields. As it is now, its going to run you our of there even on the coldest says.

tex
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 20:01 - Edited by: tex

This is a marine type, schooner, cast iron fire box. called: ULEFOS

It is small enough to fit and heat a small room. It is a perfect unit for this small cabin.

Jotus makes a similar one that can heat a relatively modest size room.

My preference is not to use 6" pipe and a major stove stack and double walled and all. I believe a single wall stove pipe would also make much more sense providing additional heat from it. I do not plan to be making large/full fires in this unit. I will not be loading it up to reach maximum temperature. Far from it.

GomerPile
# Posted: 9 Apr 2013 21:17

If you size up the pipe your draft will slow down. If you have a short run this may cause some problems with smoke inside till things get warm.

I installed a 5 inch class a pipe thru the roof complete with attic shields. I modified an adapter to allow the 4 inch pipe to pass thru the collar and I ran 4 inch pipe up to the top of the chimney. Better said I have 4 inch pipe to the top, but where it runs thru the roof it's housed in a class a chimney.

I use single wall pipe for better heating. My heat shield is slate tiles, 1.5 inches of cement board, thin steel, and 1 inch air gap.

preventec47
# Posted: 15 Apr 2013 15:17

I had a small stove for a small space like that one time. It was
an RV. The trick was to get a lot of small dry sticks really burning
like hell and then plop the biggest solid log I could fit into the stove.
Most large logs in a little stove with few red hot coals will not continue
to burn but I had my special stash of special logs I had baked in
an oven for several hours at 350 degrees so there was zero moisture
content. I know it kind of defeats the purpose but this way I could
get the small stove to burn slowly for a long period of time.
ie overnight.

tex
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 15:21

Thanks for the tips,

I will be piping it out the side wall near the ceiling of the cabin. Best to avoid leaks, throw the metal roof too. Will contemplate the 4"-5" version.

Good wood best burns/longer hotter with a certain percentage of moister in it. 1 year old is best.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.