Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / free osb
vacabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 11:40

Hi I have been a lurker on here for awhile finally getting started on my 12x16.I have come a cross a source of free 3/4 osb for my subfloor the only problem is they are 4x8 sheets that have been ripped down to 44inches by 8 foot.Would it be better to by new sheets are use these and piece as necessary.

mjmmessina
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 12:17

You will have to buy a few more floor joist but getting the osb free is well worth it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 12:57

I'd pass. The tongue/groove missing now? Extra joist, means insulation wont fit right or lots of blocking at joints/butt. OSB isnt that expensive anyway, the extra work to make it fit may not be worth it, even if you consider your time is free. Personally, I didnt use a sliver of OSB on my cabin, all 100% plywood on my sheets, ie floor, walls, interior, attic, roof sheating. I cant stand the stuff and it doest have the normal wood smell on new construction, but outgassing glue smell.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 14:19

Floor sheathing should be T&G w/o t&g the floor may sqeek

I don't understand why some say you need more joists, the joists run across the 12 ft wide and the 8 ft long panels are always placed across the joists with the 8 ft direction 90degrees to the joists, the joists still line up at the panel ends, if the panels were 92 inches long then it is a problem.

Frenchie
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 17:45

If you can get enough OSB. I would double up the OSB and split the seams by 22". This would give you a 1.5" thick floor, and very solid. I would put in some sub-floor adhesive between the OSB. I have always over built and never regreted it.

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 19:18

No absolutely Do Not use it!!
Send it to me, I will dispose of it for you.

rayyy
# Posted: 8 Mar 2013 20:38

6 sheets of nice new T&G will cost you about $200.That would give you a nice tight,solid floor.Maybe you can use the osb for the walls or roof or somthing.

TrueCabin
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 11:27

>T&G w/o t&g the floor may sqeek<

if went into a cabin and the floor squeeked I'd call a building inspector to come out and condemn the place!
seriously folks ( ?? )

Also, good point on unsulation etc, but the 8 feet dimension is the one that would affect the joist spacing
the 44 is fine.

Anonymous
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 16:20

"">T&G w/o t&g the floor may sqeek<

if went into a cabin and the floor squeeked I'd call a building inspector to come out and condemn the place!
seriously folks ( ?? )""

Being that this place is full of amateur builders that is a vaild point to make, because nobody else knows how a squeek might affect someone else or someone else's wife, so its a good point to have made. So i say yes, seriously the other anonymous made sense. nobody has to learn anything if they don't want to, sad but true.

Vacabin
# Posted: 9 Mar 2013 21:21

Thanks for all the replies.i used the free osb glued and nail then installed a layer of 5/8 4x8 ply the opposite direction of the osb the plywas also free.floor turned out super solid

bldginsp
# Posted: 13 Mar 2013 15:33

OSB is stronger than plywood in structural tests, but if it gets wet it swells up and doesn't shrink back down when it dries. This is because it is severely compressed when it is made. Also, it absorbs more water than plywood, so if it is in a situation where water is a constant issue (like roof eaves) it may rot sooner. For a floor it's less likely to experience this, except when you spill hot tea on it or the dog decides to leave you a gift.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.