Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Nailer or hammer?
Elefex
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 05:50

When you were building your cabin, did you use a nailer or a hammer and nails? Why?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should spend the money to get a cheap framing nailer ($100) given that I would probably never use it again after I'm finished with building the cabin (8x12).

JRanch
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 09:23

Eleflex,
I am building a 12x16 and was wondering the same thing thing. My conclusion is NOT to go with the nailer, I would rather pound in all nails by hand hand due to the small size of my cabin.

Obviously the nailer is more convient but for the price I cannot justify it.

Merry Christmas,
Keith

paulsonlaw
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 09:59

I bought the 5 gun cheap combo kit & returned it after the main job was over lol! But try a pawn shop, they always have great deals on nailers & will gladly buy it back when done. Porter Cable is King of air guns if you can get one. A nailer is 90% faster and makes it 100% easier to build square walls.

JRanch
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 18:18

That is a good idea paulson, I think I will check out some pawn shops in our area. If I go that route, I will also have to purchase an air compressor, whats a decent one for a decent (small) price?

I'm of to church to worship the birth of our King, I hope you all have a blessed Christmas Eh!
Keith

flatwater
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 21:31

A good nailer and a good double stack portable air compressor will give you years of service and saves on later medical problems with bad shoulders and elbows. Very few carpenders use a hammer anymore. And please don't buy something, use it then return it. That's a lot like shoplifting. I have a niehbor that buys a lawn mower then returns it after his lawn is mowed. I asked him one time if I could take his wife and use her for a couple of hours then return her. He didn't like that.

JRanch
# Posted: 24 Dec 2009 22:38

flatwater,
Use her to mow your lawn?

paulsonlaw
# Posted: 25 Dec 2009 07:59

LMAO flatwater! that's funny.

paulsonlaw
# Posted: 25 Dec 2009 08:04

Then again, for an 8X12 I would go all out & use screws. I would get a good dewalt 18v drill. Also found cheap & a pawn shop. But for a 8x12 you are going to buy a box of gun nails & not even use them all. Screws are SOOOOOO much stronger! Our cabin was gun nailed to get the walls up but then only screws were used. For an Anything under 250 sqft I would use screws the whole way & only 2x6 studs.

That's my final advice.

Borrego
# Posted: 25 Dec 2009 16:57

Definitely use a nailgun. I'm a contractor/carpenter by trade and it makes framing so much more easy and accurate, plus you can do things by yourself that will take an extra set of hands with just a hammer. Even for a small cabin, it's a must as far as I'm concerned. Porter Cable makes a good small pancake model that is very durable, I've had several over the years. You can use them later to pump your tires, inflate air mattresses, etc... http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=253750-70-C2002-WK&lpag e=none'As far as nailguns, buy a used one and sell it when you're done. Hitachi is what most carpenters use, but most are ok. You might also check out Paslode guns, they don't use a compressor,
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=96720-48746-IMCT&lpage= none

Elefex
# Posted: 25 Dec 2009 18:15

Quoting: paulsonlaw

Then again, for an 8X12 I would go all out & use screws. I would get a good dewalt 18v drill. Also found cheap & a pawn shop. But for a 8x12 you are going to buy a box of gun nails & not even use them all. Screws are SOOOOOO much stronger! Our cabin was gun nailed to get the walls up but then only screws were used. For an Anything under 250 sqft I would use screws the whole way & only 2x6 studs.

That's my final advice.

That sounds like a good idea--I might consider going that route. It would definitely be cheaper than a nailer considering that I already have a drill.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 28 Dec 2009 00:36 - Edited by: Moontreeranch

If your off grid, a regular nail gun only works with a compressor, and compressors need power ...lots of power..it is possible to get a gas compressor, but genny to compressor to gun is the typical route

for my project I used a Paslode framer, it can shoot full or clipped heads, and smaller ring shanks for siding...being a carpenter I already had the guns, and compressor...my investment went in to a 5000 watt genny that could run the compressor...did 90 percent of the framing in about 7 days...alone. could not have done that with out the gun.

for smaller project screws and a 18 volt driver

Elefex
# Posted: 30 Dec 2009 21:06

Just an update--I found something called a palm nailer--it's great!

I don't have to buy those expensive collated nails and could use spiral/ring shank nails as well!

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 10:34

this palm nailer still requires a compressor, it was designed to get in between joist or other tight areas

steveqvs
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 13:36

I was just at a Home Depot last night with my 14 year old son. He went on a mission trip last summer and they used a gas powered framer... he reported that it was awesome....I looked at them and they are pricey.... but no compressor needed....

steveqvs
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 13:37

Addition to above.... not gasoline but some sort of cartidge, I just wanted to be clear about that. I want to do some homework on those.

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 4 Jan 2010 14:17

Here is a link at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000225HU?ie=UTF8&tag=smacab-20&linkCode=as2 &camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000225HU

there are also some guns for finish nailing that use a small "onboard compressor" pretty much limited to finish work.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5946

lawnjocky
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 19:34

Nail guns are fast and produce a better product. This is even more true when you are not an experienced builder or are using recycled wood.

On my cabin I framed using a hammer and did everything else with a gun. I don't have a gun that shoots 16s otherwise I would have used it.

You are going to want to have power for tools so you will have a generator. Therefore running a compressor isn't a big deal.

Jocko

flatwater
# Posted: 5 Jan 2010 20:04

I have a number of cordless tools but it seems that at the end of a work day I'm using the generator and nail gun because the battery's died

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Feb 2010 01:01

Get the air nailer. Hand banging will beat you up. And it also can beat apart the parts you are trying to nail together. Saves you so much time too. I used a Hitatchi 83A framing nailer. It had a collar on it so it worked for sheating, ie siding and roofing. I cant imagine hand baging all those nails out.

Kithera
# Posted: 5 Apr 2010 17:27

Screws and a drill are the way to go, I think. If you're power limited (off grid) then consider getting a 12V drill and battery. Then you can remove the battery and wire it directly to your 12V battery from your solar system.

Plus, while you may never use a nailer again, a good drill is always useful.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 5 Apr 2010 17:45 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Quoting: Kithera
you can remove the battery and wire it directly to your 12V battery from your solar system

Or use car's 12V battery (keep the car running!)
All my cabin tools use 12V.

Fire18
# Posted: 5 May 2010 15:03

I just started to build my cabin last May. I used a nail gun and am glad I did. Much faster when working alone.

Gary O
# Posted: 3 Aug 2010 23:22

Half my cabin was hammer and nails.
The last half was with a nailer (yeah I bought a generater too).
Not sorry.
It comes in handy with every nailing project.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.